SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

Composting with the neighborhood bear.....ideas?

Lcgrace Mahoney
15 years ago

We've had the cutest bear cub across our road at the neighbor's house. He's been napping in their tree and eating birdseed out of their feeder. We've been snapping pics and enjoying living in the country. We haven't seen mama yet but I'm told that she lives a few houses up.

We take care to keep our deck gate locked, the house locked, and the garbage closed in the garage. I hadn't given my compost bin a single thought until I went out to dump my scraps and he tipped it over. I guess he's tired of living on the birdseed!

My compost bin is the black garbage can style with a lid. It has plastic skrews that anchor it to the ground. Would a hand built wooden and wire fence type work better? I'm assuming that if I start a fresh lasagna bed and put the scraps directly on the ground, he'd have a full buffet. I have the room to do this but I'd rather enclose it instead of being all over.

I should tell you that we do live in the country....deer, turkeys and bear are common, although this is the 1st time that we've actually seen bear roaming outside.

any thoughts or ideas on how I can keep composting without making a mess? Thanks! LC Grace

Comments (6)