SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Ride & car-trip sharing in your neighborhood?

joel_bc
15 years ago

Every so often, people around where I live get into a discussion about the rising cost of gasoline & the contribution of auto exhaust to greenhouse gases. So inevitably, the topic of car pooling (& similar ideas) comes up. We keep wondering what price per gallon (or liter, as we pay for it here) it is going to require before people start doing this sharing on a regular basis. I'm in a rural area, and it takes 45-50 minutes to get to either of the two major centers where we do heavy-duty purchasing (shopping for building materials, bulk food, animal feed, kitchen gear, hardware, government services, dentist, etc).

Car pooling or ride sharing is one thing. A reciprocation on errand running - like bringing back a bit of hardware or lumber for a neighbor in your van or pick-up - is another way of increasing the effectiveness of a given expenditure of fuel.

How does it work in your neighborhood now? What cost of gasoline do you think it would require to induce people to get into of this kind of mutual aid on a more regular basis?

Of course, I don't rule out increased use of commuter buses and other valuable options. I just think the one-driver and a fairly empty car (or one driver and a kid or two) kind of car travel will one day be less prevalent, even in the city & the 'burbs.

Joel

Comments (29)

Sponsored
More Discussions