SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chebella_gw

Shame on Jackson and Perkins

CheBella
14 years ago

I was pleased to see some bargains on the J&P site. With only a week to go before the last shipping date, I assumed that they would rather sell roses at a lower price then have to give them away or destroy them. I'm disabled, and I look forward to these end-of-season sales to enable me to buy plants on a disability pension.

When I finished my shopping cart, I saw that the shipping chart showed $27.95 for my just-under $125 order (they price shipping on order total, and it goes up $4-5 dollars for each $30 of your order; it comes out to ~22% added to your order.) But, as I went on to check out, the shipping costs went to $51.75! I called and was told that they shipping chart on the site was based on the *list price* of the plants. So you may think you are getting a bargain, but they get it back by boosting the shipping!

I understand that the plant weighs the same and costs them the same to ship, and if they charged by weight, I would have no problem. But their shipping rates based on order total are so astronomical...the highest I have ever seen that it is clear they are padding the rates significantly.

I have been disabled for 24 years and, being homebound, shop extensively on-line. I'm sure I have made over a thousand purchases over the years. I have *never* encountered a policy like this from any other company in the world.

I called to ask about it, and was treated with insouciant contempt. they recommended that I order less if i wanted to lower my shipping charge. Great salesmanship! I asked for a supervisor, and was treated similarly. She ultimately told me she would pass my concerns to the shipping department. I told her it was clear that she would pass my concerns to the round file, which she hotly denied. Of course, she took neither my name nor contact information, nor any details of my proposed order, so that rather lowered her credibility.

I told the original customer service rep who suggested I reduce my order that I would reduce it to zero. He could not care less.

I spent a lot of time on that order, and since I only have a certain amount of time each day that I can sit up at the computer, I am so upset to have wasted it. A company should value a good reputation, not squander it by cheating its customers in the fine print.

Donna

saddened and cranky in New York

Comments (10)