SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perrydiane

Need tips for planting poorly growing rose bush into pot

perrydiane
15 years ago

I have a rose bush given to me by a friend. She'd dug it out of a pot where she'd had it growing for about a year, gave it to me, and I drove it home and then transplanted it into the ground. This was well over a year ago and it's not doing very well (I live east of San Francisco -- not sure what zone that is). I believe this rosebush is an "antique" one, and since putting it into the ground last year it's hardly grown at all and now only has two buds in mid-May, that are just barely opening. Other than that, it seems healthy -- no bugs or gunk/fungus on the leaves. I'd like to transplant this rosebush into a pot and see if it does any better. (In its current location, it's getting 6-8 hours of sun a day, but the soil is poor). Can anyone give me tips on: what kind of pot (wood, clay, plastic?), and what kind of soil? I had another rose bush in a wood planter before, and had troubles with ants "taking home" in it (funny, but I've noticed that ants love taking home in wood planters!), so I'm inclined towards a plastic planter this time, with lots of volcanic vermiculite at the bottom for aeration. (I know the trouble with plastic pots is that they don't breath well). I appreciate any responses. Many thanks.

Comments (11)