SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacian_gw

Confusion about Rose bush width/advice on where to plant

stacian
11 years ago

Hi all,

This forum seems like my second home these days, lol. Now that I've gone and gotten myself some roses, I need some feedback on where to plant them. I'll list what I have for y'all that need planting.

I need to know two things

1) how wide do these get when planted as climbers? Can the width be controlled with pruning?

2) How shade tolerant are they considering I live in Socal? Heritage, Eden, Red Eden, and Barbara Worl I've heard appreciate some afternoon shade or do surprisingly well in shade here because of weather.

I've heard that because of our location, plants can tolerate more shade here than if we lived in a colder climate. There are two iffy spots next to our front gate that has a wide 4' arbor that I would love to plant two climbers but they need to be pretty shade tolerant. I think sunlight about 4 hours and the rest of the time, dappled shade or bright shade.

My plan is to plant one of the larger plants - perhaps the Red Eden in the iffy spot since it's older and has more growth and the bands in full sun for them to grow quicker and better.

5 gallon pots from Otto & Sons

- Red Eden. Small cluster of unopened blooms

- Angel Face. About 6 blooms and the best smell out of all the roses that I saw. Lavender/mauve

- Brother Cadfael. More than a dozen blooms in various stages. Smelled great even in the heat. The Regan Nursery website claims this can tolerate only 4 hours of sun. How wide will Brother Cadfael get? I'd love to keep it around 3-4 feet wide

In bands from Heirloom:

- Heritage

- Eden - mine has a giant bloom already on my tiny band! Can I make this a pillar rose? If so, will it only bloom at the tips?

I also bought La Reine, Tea Clipper and Queen of Sweden but I know exactly where those will go

Bands from Rogue Valley - these are smaller and less healthy than my bands from Heirloom

- Heritage (I know I couldn't resist but I think they sent me something other than Heritage *sigh* and now I've sent them pics to solve this problem)

- Barbara Worl. I've heard so much about this rose that I had to snatch it up. How big does she get? Just big tall or big wide?

Thanks everyone!

Comments (6)