SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob64_gw

Parking Lot Runoff

bob64
13 years ago

Part of my "gardening" place involves a parking lot that slopes down toward a wetland (with about two yards of grass before the woodsy-wetland in some parts) so I'm a little concerned about petroleum contaminated runoff getting into the wetland. The wetland has a stream and is very densely wooded and mostly shady. The trees are about 50 years old (area was previously meadow) and there are some red osier dogwood shrubs in some places as well. The asphalt itself is pretty old and in bad shape and and little bits of it continually break off as well. Would a berm of wood chips or compost or soil or something help? Does the two yards of grass buffer between some of the parking lot and some of the wetland provide enough mitigation for the part with the grass buffer? The parking lot gets a lot of use on weekends and not so much during the work week. What research I could find and understand suggests that the zone around the grass roots should help but I wonder if it is enough. The areas without the grass buffer concern me more.

Comments (6)