SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

This just grosses me out, looks like some frothy fungal growth

16 years ago

Since this is where I usually post, and I was going to use this around my roses before I top dresssed with cypress mulch, I'll start here, maybe put a link over in the composting forum if no one knows.

I built these two bins, one larger (this one) and a smaller one. I went out a little bit ago picking up some sticks after digging dandelions and noticed this nasty stuff growing on top of my leaves, it is gross. What is worse there is red liquid that looks like blood oozing out of the depressions but doesn't appear to have the viscosity of blood. There's also some bubbly liquidy stuff forming as well. And there's a spot of yellow stuff that looks like a bird foot or egg yolk. I don't want to poke at it any more until I have an idea what to do.

Do I dare use this on my plants now? I don't turn the pile because it's too heavy work for me; the leaves underneath are sopping wet, and it's pretty deep with several cubic feet.

BTW this was almost full to the brim last fall, my son mulched the leaves for me with the lawn mower and used the catcher, so got a few grass clippings mixed in.

Any ideas, anyone? I'm afraid it might be toxic. I poked it a little with my dandelion weeder, and do have a call in to the extension service. It wasn't there a couple weeks ago because I saw a baby owl flopping around trying to climb the chicken wire. By the time I got my gloves and out there, the owl was flopping on the leaves and had its little claw caught in the mesh. I freed it and helped it scoot back up my huge tree, third year I've dealt with baby owls.

There is no sign of anything like this on my smaller bin on the east side of the house.

Surely this can't be that unique, but if it is, I would think the scientific community might be interested in analyzing it. You never know what could cure something - or kill you.

{{gwi:267254}}

{{gwi:267256}}

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus