SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmego2_thunder

How Often to Sharpen Chainsaw??

cmego2_thunder
16 years ago

How often does a chainsaw need to be sharpened? My hubby says every 4-5 trees and this seems ridiculous to me...but I could be wrong...that's why I'm asking.

He keeps buying more chains and after reading some posts on this forum I'm gonna see if I can interest him in sharpening his own rather than buy, buy, buy. He is rather good at fixin' and repairing things so he'll likely be good at taking care of them chains too.

I have a gal friend who can cut more trees with less trouble and I've used her chainsaw under her supervision (which I enjoyed, safely) but I'll be if I can advise hubby . I do know that he's cut into the ground and as I've read that's not a good thing.

We have plenty of hard wood...a large oak that needs to come down, let alone cut up what has already...also plenty of black walnut trees that need to come down (we want pasture, too much shade not good).

So is only 4-5 trees a reasonable number before a chain needs to be resharpened? Or is it the user? I'm thinking he's forcing it to cut more rather than letting the chainsaw do most of the work...but that's JMHO too of course, based on what I learned from my friend.

Thanks guys...and any other gals that are lurking ,

cmego2 (hear them hooves thunder!)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022