SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saxophone_gw

rennovating sprinkler system

saxophone
18 years ago

I need some advice on rennovating a sprinkler system.

I purchased a house back in March. I am almost finished rennovating the front yard sprinkler system. Now I'm thinking about the back yard. The

back yard is all weeds, so tearing it all up isn't a problem.

Sorry that I don't have a picture to include. I'll just have to write the thousand words in its place.

There are three sprinkler valves in the backyard, but they are not hooked

up to the water supply. The valves are the manual Lawn Genie anti-siphon valve type made of plastic. One is cracked and probably no good any more. The valves are located close to a wall of the house. The output of each valve is attached to a separate galvanized pipe. Each pipe goes down into the concrete of a walkway and lead to PVC pipe buried in the ground on the yard side of the walkway. The input side of each valve is connected to a very short galvanized nipple. Each nipple is connected to the stem of a tee, and the tees are joined with nipples. All of this appears to be glued together. I tried to unscrew it with a pair of pipe wrenches, but it wouldn't budge. The valves are connected to the pipes without the use of a union. The input tees which are all joined by nipples is not hooked up to the water supply. I'll have to get a plumber to do that.

I want to replace the valves (one is cracked anyway) and install an automated system. How can I remove the old valves while preserving the threads on the three galvanized pipes going into the concrete? Destroying the valves is not a problem. Should I just take a hacksaw to the whole thing and cut the valves up until I can remove them from the pipes?

Alternatively, I thought about hooking the water supply directly to the pipes going into the concrete. Then, on the yard side of the walkway where the PVC pipe emerges, I could install an inline ground level valve.

Comments? Advice?

Comments (5)