SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reneek_gw

Suggestions on the best place to buy antique roses?

reneek
16 years ago

Hi,

I am just beginning to have a real interest in roses. I am slowly learning new things about them. Currently, I have no-name roses from Jackson Perkins that I bought for 75% off at Lowes....if that's any indication of my level of expertise. lol

I was watching the Gardener's Diary on HGTV and became acquainted with David Austin Roses....particularly Barron Prevost and another yellow climber whose name escapes me. I really want to learn how to become well versed in the care of roses....I don't expect to reach the status of a rosarian....I just want to learn as much as I can and I will continue to read all of the posts here.

Now....on to my question.....would someone direct me to a reliable nursery that sell these types of roses? I desire to have a close approximation of an English Cottage garden and I have the perfect spot that is in full sun all day long. I would prefer to make use of my new tiller and create a bed specifically for four or more of these beauties. I would appreciate suggestions on which roses would go well with the Barron Prevost in the same bed.

TIA!

Renee

Comments (61)

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow....thanks everyone for the websites, book and cultivar recommendations! I really, truly appreciate it.

Lisa,
    Great question! I have no idea about the colors that I desire. I think once I look at the roses you recommended, I will just KNOW what I want if that makes sense? lol But my first thought is red, yellow, pink and maroon to start. I will google all of the names this weekend and start my indepth research to get a better handle on things. Thanks so much!

Madame,
    You sound just like me, a plantaholic! I've heard of Ashdown....will definitely check it out. What other type of plants do you have in your cottage garden. If I have my way, there will be very little lawn left when I'm through! hehehe

Ann,
    I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't been there yet. But I will. You've given me lots of food for thought and I will take all under consideration.

Sandy and Jeri,

Again, thanks for the book and website recommendation. I can see I am going to be using a lot of toner today!

Hi Buford!
    I'm in Hiram in Paulding county very close to Marietta and Douglasville. Thanks for the tips and I will let you know if I ever find a Barrone. You have 75 rose bushes? Wow...here I am thinking 6 bushes will be overkill. But I'm a quick study....I'm going to start dreaming BIG! I actually understand what you mean by 'own root' thanks to this month's edition of Backyard Living magazine....that's what inspired me...the cover is how to care for roses..... Have you ever been successful in rose propogation? I will definitely email you as I continue through my journey. Thanks!

Michelle,
    Thanks for that tip....I'm a frugal gardener and I love deals!! lol I will check out that site next year to see if I can get as lucky as you. It's nice to know that we're in the same boat as far as being a newbie is concerned....somehow, I feel a lot better because this group is phenomena....so we'll be ok! I've got my fingers crossed for you about the roses continuing to thrive!

Feeling very rosy today,

Renee

• buford
    16 years ago

Renee, I found Barrone on the Rose Unlimited website.

If you like maroon, or dark reds, do check out Tradescant from Austin. I planted that this year and it is the deepest true red I have. And it has a great scent. Also Don Juan, a climber is a great red and has a great scent.

There are lots of good yellow Austins. I just planted Graham Thomas and Golden Celebration. I hope they do well.

• Related Discussions

Suggestions for BEST antique hydrangea for cutting

Q

Comments (3)
    My Enziandom have flowerheads of the same if not larger size than NB. Preziosa is a great choice for smaller flowerheads and IMO it's the best antique-looking hydrangea. Glowing Ember has similar size of flowerheds to Preziosa, coloring is more bright, but shrub itself is smaller- 4x4 at maturity vs 5x6 for Preziosa.
    ...See More

Best Place(s) to Buy Metal Labels/Markers for Hostas? Cheap?!?

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you guys for all of the quick responces! Just as a sidenote incase anyone is interested: I also enclose in each hosta a second cheap plastic label I stick way in the dirt just incase the metal one gets displaced, so I always have the hosta name in a second place. I notice though that even black Sharpie markers do not last forever. And if the sun hits any part of it, forget it. However, if you get their Metallic Silver markers that are meant to write on dark surfaces, these really stay forever. I have had labels out in the sun for years with no fade so far. And, I also just discoved yesterday at Staples for the first time, that Sharpie now has Oil-Based Paint Markers! They are specifally made to be Weather-Water-Fade-Resistant. The pack I got was one Gold and one Silver. But on the back of the package, it says that they also come in other colors, so I am sure you could find black too at some point. They also have them in different points, med,fine, etc. I just thought I would share that while we are on the subject! Christy
    ...See More

Best place to buy ladybugs and best time?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Donnaroe: Great question, I learned too as I looked up the info., from Buzzle "Lady bugs eat aphids. By the time a ladybug dies, it consumes about 5,000 aphids. The other bugs that it eats are boll worm, broccoli worm, whitefly, mealybugs, armored scales, pit scales, mites, tomato horn worm, and cabbage moth. They also like to eat eggs of other insects like moths. They enjoy eating pollen and mildew. You may even find some species of ladybugs that eat mushrooms and other types of fungus. There are over 5000 species of ladybugs on earth ... Its life span is about 3 to 6 weeks. In its short life span, one insect lays up to 1000 eggs. All ladybugs are born black. The larvae take only a week to develop into adults" Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-do-ladybugs-eat.html See below link for the cheapest place to buy lady bugs from Amazon, 1,500 bugs for $15. It has the instruction on how to release them .. this place has the highest rating. Once you click on the below link, scroll ALL THE WAY down to see the 227 reviews. Ed in Amazon wrote this: "1. If you release them in hot weather you will not see them EVER. These guys look for cool spots and will leave no matter what. 2. Sugar water does no good. If there is nothing for them to eat they are out of here. 3. If you have a aphid problem this is far the way to go. *** From Strawberryhill: When we first moved to our alkaline clay we had tons of lady bugs. When I had the most perennial flowers, I had the most lady bugs. But pink yarrow and bee balm are too invasive, so I killed them. We went from tons of ladybugs, to very few. The reason? Lady bugs can hide under flowers, to keep cool and to avoid being eaten by birds. Once I killed the perennial flowers, I destroyed their shelter. From eHow: Planting annuals and perennials to provide nectar for ladybugs will help make your garden an attractive place for both beneficial insects and humans. Choose annuals such as alyssum, baby's breath, calendula, cosmos, marigolds, sunflowers and zinnias, all of which grow easily from seed. Perennials such as bee balm (Monarda), goldenrod (Solidago) and candytuft (Iberis) also attract ladybugs. Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8248651_flowers-attract-lady-bugs.html#ixzz33aDO6BmW Here is a link that might be useful: Best place to buy lady bugs from Amazon This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 9:44
    ...See More

Best Mail Order Rose Resource?

Q

Comments (10)
    Also Antique Rose Emporium and David Austin (bare root). Some say Chamblee's but I know them only by reputation. There is a company called Hortico that carries a LOT of roses. However their reputation as a vendor is a bit tainted. All I know is that ordering from Hortico is considered by many as going over to the dark side if you will. I have the rose 'Canary Bird' on order from them for Spring 2008. I'll let you know. Hope this helps. Kate Kate
    ...See More
  • michellesg
    16 years ago

Another Austin yellow that seems to be growing fabulous for many people is Teasing Georgia. JacksonandPerkins.com is having a fabulous sale for Teasing Georgia and Jubilee Celebration, 4 for 2 and the shipping is discounted too. I checked last night and couldn't resist. We'll see if I can keep these alive too!

• jbfoodie
    16 years ago

Don't forget Vintage Gardens--they are my favorite vendor. While their roses come in small bands, the roses catch up to all other larger roses I have received from other vendors in no time at all. They are also one of the most reliable rose vendors when it comes to properly labeling roses. Baronne Prevost is listed as currently available on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Gardens

• madame_hardy
    16 years ago

Hi Reneek,

My front yard is all cottagy and reseeds and sort of takes care of itself except for some weeding and thinning here and there; I love it. And I haven't had to buy plants for out there in several years...gotta love that!

It has tons of plants, but I'll try and think what's out there, in no particular order:

Alliums of all kinds
    Bells of Ireland
    Bells of Holland
    Astilbe (purple and white)
    Delphiniums
    Canterbury Bells
    Lady's Mantle
    Iris (x about 10 var)
    Hostas x 3 var.
    Echinachea
    Lilies x 5 var
    Bleeding Heart
    Mini Bleeding heart (solid pink)
    Daylilies (lots)
    Columbine (deep purple)
    Shasta Daisies (a pain--reseed everywhere!)
    Gaillardia
    Lupines (purple and white)
    Asters (pastel shades)
    Achillea (pastel shades)
    Mini Roses
    Echinops
    Rockfoil (I think)
    Forget-me-nots
    Veronica -Waterperry Blue
    Phlox - pink
    Chrysanthemums -yellows
    Lisianthus
    Pansies
    Bell Flower (blue and white)
    Crocosmia
    Carnations
    Peony (x5)
    Clematis Jackmanii
    Golden Showers rose (never climbs)
    Dr Huey Rose (dead other Golden Showers)
    Angel Hair (can't recall the name, starts with A)
    Spirea
    Wiegela
    Barberry

and coming soon....Austins and antiques!
    William Morris
    Pat Austin
    Crocus Rose
    Glamis Castle
    Pompon de Bourgogne
    Therese Bugnet
    Cecile Brunner
    Brown Velvet
    unknown moss cutting

:)

Feeling rosey today, too.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

I love Antique Roses Emporium and Roses Unlimited. I've always gotten big healthy beautiful roses from them.

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Buford....thanks for letting me know that.....wow....I have so much to look at! lol

Michelle....you rock! I'm looking at possibly ordering these to get me started: http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BECProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10053&catalogId=10005&categoryId=10879&category=JSC38&productId=1044653&topCat=Rose+Tag+Sale&subCat=View+All

It includes the two that you suggested....what do you guys think of the other three selections?

Madame,

Thanks for the list....I have some of those....my peony isn't doing well and I've had it for two years +....maybe it's getting too much shade and it's barely a foot tall. Sniffle....

Alicia,

Thanks for chiming in with your favorites. I will certainly check them out.

My heart is full,

Renee

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

Nothing like a trip to the nursery to see for yourself... Roses Unlimited is off exit 44 on I-26, and Ashdown roses is off exit 5 on I-26. Also, from Atlanta, Roses Unlimited can be reached from the I-385 off exit 5 (??)- its route SC 49. Go away from Laurens if you are traveling south on I-385. I would guesstimate its about a 3 hour trip from Atlanta. Be prepared to have a bunch of roses jump in the car unexpectedly if you go. Sort of like a stray cat, only they don't make much noise (unlike your spouse, who might squawk some). The people there are most helpful, and love to talk roses. Seeing the rose in person is so much better than a written description. That especially applies to fragrance. RU has some mature display gardens as well.

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

JB....I just spit out my water! Thanks for the chuckle....I think you are right about that. lol Hmmm....I was planning a long weekend drive somewhere....no one can fault me if just happen to come back home with a trunk full of roses....

• robiniaquest
    16 years ago

For Austins, I think it is definitely worth it to buy directly from David Austin. I ordered from them for the first time this year, and WOW!!! DH asked me the other night why all our roses don't look like that...ouch. Seriously, they are HUGE, AWESOME bareroots. But grafted. Mega-performers. But they just ended shipping for the season.

For own roots, my favorite vendors are Antique Rose Emporium, Uncommon Rose, and Vintage Gardens. All send superhealthy, well-packaged plants. The downside to UR and VG is that you're getting bands. Vintage has a few gallons, but I've never ordered one. Rogue Valley has a great selection too. The one plant I got from them was nice and healthy. However, their shipping is high. ARE offers big healthy plants, and their shipping rates are much better. Also - they have great customer service. But, their shipping season also just ended. It will start up again in the fall.

Another great thing about UR is that they carry Paul Barden's roses. I am addicted to them. They aren't antique either, but most are of the same character as antiques. Take a look at his gallica and moss hybrids. And of course, his gorgeous new hybrid musk Jeri Jennings!!! I am anxiously awaiting the opening of the first cluster of buds on mine. It should be any day now. They continue to ship through June.

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Renee that was the other combo that I was going to get (love Christopher Marlowe!). The only reason I went with the 4 roses rather than the 5 is Landfair Gardens is having a 50% of sale off of all their iris'. I ordered 16 and with tax and shipping it ended up being $2.38/iris, how can anyone pass that up? The dh is going to have kittens about having to dig 20 holes in the rock bed we live on. I don't think the iris' holes have to be as big as the rose holes though, I might even be able to dig those myself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris 50% off

• buford
    16 years ago

The Austins from J&P are own root. And they were huge. I bought direct from DA as well. All are doing well.

You are going to love Teasing Georgia. Be aware, in our zone she gets big. Here is mine this morning on an umbrella trellis, FINALLY blooming after the frost and thrips:

{{gwi:266986}}

• robiniaquest
    16 years ago

Correction - I just checked out the Austin website and they've extended their shipping till June 4th, but I guess not to GA.

Michelle, where do you find the 50% off roses? I've been checking constantly for a sale from them, and have not seen it. I remember last year someone posted the info, and I did see it, but didn't order. I would be very inclined to order this time, if they'll still ship to Zone 6b.

Buford, I second your Tradescant recommendation. I think everyone who has visited my garden this year has asked about it, and about Jude the Obscure. They are just phenomenal. Someone asked me if they were real roses!!!

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Another great thing about UR is that they carry Paul Barden's roses.

**** I think that, eventually, many of the Barden roses will be available -- SOMEWHERE. But Uncommon Rose is no more. They are closing, and I believe will make their final shipment on June 11.
    This is one of the reasons I'm feeling so protective of rose sources just now. We have lost many, and are losing more.
    :-(

Jeri

• philipw2
    16 years ago

I have been using eBay to buy Japanese maples---my other passion. Has anyone tried eBay for polyanthas and other old roses?

• jerijen
    16 years ago

We've bought plumeria there, and also epiphyllums -- but not roses.
    But we do have some 1-G roses here -- uncommon things -- that we are going to list on ebay -- to raise money for Heritage Roses Groups. Soon as I can get DH to do it. :-)

Jeri

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Robiniaquest the Jackson and Perkins website is the one that has some roses for 50% off or more. BTW Jude the Obscure is going to be my next rose purchase, I just love the way the rose is shaped. Normally I'm into the insanely over stuffed 140+ petal look but Jude's cup shape is amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: J&P sale

• buford
    16 years ago

I bought roses from J&P in July last year. As long as they have them, they will ship them!

I just got 3 Moondance and 3 Frankly Scarlets that will alternately line my drive way. They are soaking away.

• michellesg
    16 years ago

I just have to make a comment on J&P customer service. I made an order last night and had a question about it so I emailed them this evening at 9:30pm central time. They responded to me within the hour, at 10pm. It's Friday night. And then again to my thank you response at 10:45pm. It's Friday night! It really just doesn't get any better than that.

• chattahoochee
    16 years ago

If you'd rather buy antiques and Austins locally, you might try calling Habersham Gardens in Atlanta. They usually have a fairly good selection, with many from the Antique Rose Emporium. I'd also support the idea of a road trip to Roses Unlimited. It's a nice day trip from our area, and you'll be compelled to fill your car with roses. By the time you've walked through the vast number of greenhouses, you'll be so enamored that you'll have to buy at least a dozen....maybe two dozen to make it worthwhile. And of course you'll have to rationalize all the money you're spending on gasoline, so you'll convince yourself that a successful trip equates to a car full of roses. On second thought, take a van. And by the time you're back home again, you'll be certain that you don't really need a lawn because your new English garden will be beautifully covering all the space except for a few walking paths that will soon be sprawling with companion plants. By the way, lavender grows really well here....

• buford
    16 years ago

chatt - is that the garden center on Peachtree Rd north of Buckhead?

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I absolutely love you guys....so much info and so little time. I'm going to run on over to J&P and place my order. I'm so excited after seeing Buford's pics....ok....a twinge of jealousy is there too. lol

Thanks Robin, Jeri, Michelle and Buford.....Chatt...you are making way too much sense....a van just might hold everything I'll buy! roflol!

Renee

• chattahoochee
    16 years ago

Okay, I've got to amend the message above regarding Habersham Gardens. I went there this morning and it looks like their rose selection is pretty low. Still good quality though.

Buford, you're thinking of Hastings on Peachtree. Habershams is on Manchester, near Cheshire Bridge Rd. High quality, just like Hastings, but a funkier atmosphere.

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

Gee THANKS for the enabling, michellesg! I love iris and now apparently I have to order a whole bunch.

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Buford,

I noticed that you said that your roses are soaking away. I only have experience with potted roses....can you give me a quick overview of what I should do when my bare-root roses arrive? Is there any particular preparation that I should do in advance besides roto-tilling the clay soil....what should I amend it with other than compost? It will be in full sun all day long...I am so clueless....I want want to increase the chance of having beautiful roses.

TIA,

Renee

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Nicklesmumz8- no problem, someone enabled it all over me so I figured I'd pass on the love!

Buford, you get a bucket, fill it with water and put all the roots of your bare root roses in it. Let them soak for a week or so. Change the water if it gets funky or starts to breed mosquitos. I think mine ended up in the water for a bit longer because it was too darn hot to dig a hole. After the soaking plant the rose, if it is a grafted rose be sure to plant the grafted part below the soil. If they're from J&P though those are own root so you don't have to worry about it. Mulch well around it after planting to keep the moisture in, I think there are instructions that come with your roses too but I don't know what J&P has to say since this will be my first order from them. I dug holes that weren't quite as big as they recommend but that's because my soil is all clay with really really big rocks about 2" down. 1 hole can take a good 30-40 minutes to dig so the roses get what they get. I'll put a bit of dirt mix in the hole but fill it the rest of the way with the clay I took out. I water every day for a week while I figure out how well my soil retains water. My Generous Gardner was planted maybe a week ago and he's going nuts.

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the instructions, Michelle! Yeah, I got mine from J & P....they are scheduled to be delivered no earlier than June 15th....so I'm going to dig up the plants in the area where I plan to place the roses and do a thorough roto-tilling.

I will add compost since I already have a few bags lying around. I didn't know they had to be soaked....thanks for that info Buford and Michelle! Oh, I ordered Teasing Georgia, Bishop's Castle, Falstaff, Jubilee Celebration, Christopher Marlowe, Moondance, Simply Marvelous and Tuscan Sun. How's that for someone who is just getting started? lol

Renee

• brandyray
    16 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Heirloomroses.com
    The roses I have all came from them. They are good too about answering questions by email and guarantee that you will get a human being when you call- not voice mail. Their catalog states that they have the largest rose display gardens of any nursery in America. They are located in Oregon- too far for me, unfortunately. The Robusta I got from them last yr is full of blooms. Brandy

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Renee, I just have to ask this, you do realize that these aren't antique roses and that they will have to be sprayed in this area since they are blackspot prone? Beautiful roses, but not particularly disease resistant in the hot, humid south. I have several Austin roses, I love them but they do get spotty here. A lot of the antique roses will blackspot here as well. You may be perfectly aware of this and if so, ignore me and carry on. :-)

Carol

• buford
    16 years ago

Does Heirloom only sell bands? That was all I saw on their website. Are the roses from Roses Unlimited bands or larger?

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Heirloom sells only bands.
    Many people I know call that company "ERR-loom."

Jeri

• sandy808
    16 years ago

UH!OH! Does that mean I should rethink ordering from them Jeri? I liked the "virus free" thing.

Sandy

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol,
    I'm so new at this it's not funny.....I wasn't really aware of this...but to some extent expected it. I know that there are disease resistant roses, like the knockouts, but they don't really appeal to me. I figured that I would have to address the usual rose issues but I would LOVE to know about roses other than knockouts that are more disease resistant....because something tells me I will be ordering again....lol.

Also....what is meant by "BANDS"?

Thanks so much!

Renee

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Hey Renee -- I haven't ordered from them in years. Maybe they've improved -- but they won't be getting any more of MY money. :-)

BANDS: Sometimes called "tree bands." They are tall and narrow, allowing a rose to grow substantial roots in very little soil.
    These days, I think most vendors of own-root roses ship in "bands." The plants are small, but generally do just fine. Most of us tend to pot them up into 1-Gal so that they can grow up a little before planting into the ground.
    When we first began collecting Old Roses, we bought teeny bare-toots from Antique Rose Emporium. Now, THOSE were scary little things!!!
    I believe ARE now ships either bands or 1-G. That's MUCH easier to deal with.

THE VIRUS THING:
    An own-root rose is only as "virus-free" as the parent plant from which it was grown. The only proof that a plant is virus-free is laboratory testing. "Imported from England" does not equate to virus-free.
    I have received virused plants from that source, grown from parent plants which (they told me) were imported from England. So unless they say that they have begun testing, I don't put much credence in that "virus-free" business.

Jeri

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Renee, give Pat Henry a call at Roses Unlimited. She has a terrific selection and can help you with the best choices regionally, not to mention that she's made a terrific effort to address the virus issue by bringing in roses that are virus-indexed from UC Davis, probably the most reputable source of virus-free roses in the country.

You might also want to check out the immunity booster, Messenger, which is an organic protein (harpin) that will boost your plants' immunity to disease as well as increase root growth and floriferousness. It's sprayed every two-three weeks and while it doesn't eliminate blackspot, will definitely take it down to manageable levels if you want to grow the roses you've selected. I use it in my organic garden and am very happy with the results. You can find it in nurseries.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Unlimited

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Hi:
    I have a antique (and a few others) organic European style cottage garden in east Atlanta. I have only purchased potted roses and have had good luck with Chamblee and Antique Rose Emporium (who's roses are so large you don't have to wait long for blooms!!) - the rest all came from lovely trades via our local Atlanta area plant trade, or arrangements with other gardeners to propagate. I am evening having to make more beds because there are so many roses here, I need more good garden soil space!

GGG

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jeri, Sue and GGG! I'm very unfamiliar with viruses in relationship to roses. Is that what causes black spot and other rose diseases....I know....dumb question. Just trying to understand everything. I have something called Green Guard that I bought from Gardens Alive....I think it has harpin. Yes, just checked it does...but Messenger is cheaper.....lol. Thanks so much for that tip!

• Molineux
    16 years ago

My favorite source for OGRs is the Antique Rose Emporium. In the past I also used the Uncommon Rose but sadly they will be shutting down their business June 11th.

What Jeri said about bands and virus is true but here is my 2 cents worth:

Bands are shockingly small if you are not used to them. Most do just fine if you either repot or plant right away. However, folks in zones 4/5 should only ever buy them in the spring if the intention is to plant them immediately outdoors. Otherwise the little things will need to be overwintered in a basement, etc.

As far as own roots go they are less likely to carry virus because grafting with infected rootstocks is the most common cause for the spread of RMV (I remember reading somewhere that root to root transmission is also possible). That does not mean own root plants are always virus free. If the mother plant is virused then every rooted cutting will be virused. Like what Jeri just wrote, the only sure fire way of knowing if a rose is virused or not is with a lab test.

Hope this helps,

Patrick

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Sandy; I like Heirloom because the roses have been in good condition and potted rather than bareroot, also they have quickly responded to questions. Here in zone 8a, I have planted them directly in the ground. I just ordered Ginger Syllabub from them and am looking forward to receiving it next wk. :) Brandy

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Yeah, Patrick -- but if the rose you are propagating was grafted at some point in its history -- and the material has not been cleaned -- roses grown from it WILL be virused.

OTOH -- if it is a brand new, NEVER GRAFTED cultivar, or one that has only been grafted to VI rootstock, then you're home free. So I guess what I'm sayin' is that provenance counts. (But you knew that.) :-)

Jeri

• storybookroses
    16 years ago

Hi Renee,

I'm in NE Atl- welcome to the wonderful world of roses! :)

I went to Hastings today and they had a great selection of Austins- I got an own root Crown Princess Margareta with several 3' canes for $16 (all roses besides KOs are 30% off!). They also had some HTs, climbers, etc. They have Messenger too.

I don't spray my roses, so I tolerate some leaf loss and blackspot, but I also try to grow some of the more disease resistant varieties. Teas (not hybrid teas) are mostly pretty resistant here. Just do your homework and see what others (in your same climate) have to say about a particular rose before you get it. Belinda's Dream is an awesome rose that stays clean and pumps out med pink HT style blooms. I love that rose!!

I do order most of my roses from Chamblees and Roses Unlimited, although I like Pickering if I want my roses grafted (they graft on multiflora, which does better for me than Dr Huey- a more common rootstock). I have heard great things about Antique Rose Emporium and Ashdown too. I'm planning to try them soon! Actually just hit Ashdown's 65% off sale but haven't received them yet. :)

I'll second (or third?) the recommendation for Teasing Georgia and Tradescant. I grow them both and they are beautiful!! They both get some blackspot, but they aren't too bad for Austins.

Kristin

• roseman
    16 years ago

I buy all mine from Roses Unlimited in Laurens, SC. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Unlimited

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patrick, Kristin and Roseman....you are treasures...thanks for your assistance! Belinda's Dream and Crown Princess Margareta are beauties! Thanks for the recommendations.

• storybookroses
    16 years ago

Let me clarify that since I just got Crown Princess Margareta, I can't comment on its disease resistance yet. Teasing Georgia is a beautiful yellow that does get some blackspot here, but is not phased by it. I can highly recommend that one! :) Mine is own root. It's not as pretty as Buford's TG, but I love it!

Kristin

• reneek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Got it! Thanks, Kristin!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Buford, I just had to tell you your house and roses are beautiful. Love the way you have "trellised" Teasing Georgia.

• boisenoise
    16 years ago

Just wanted to mention that sticking to the right side of the Mississippi River (whichever side you live on!) usually saves a lot on shipping. I can save money and often find a more suitable selection of plants by shopping in the west, and easterners can do the same by shopping in the east.

• Mary Embee
    6 years ago

Renee, I agree with most people on here, especially about Roses Unlimited and Antique Rose Emporium. I had a 50+ rose garden in a limited space in Florida (high humidity), and grew a few Austins. They took a lot of care: regular spraying, well spaced apart, and lots of air flow. The blackspot battle during the worst of the humidity was a pain, but the scent of those roses was so well worth it. Belinda's Dream bought from Roses Unlimited was the spectacular show off in the garden, yielding over 300+ blooms for months and months in a row. It had a 10 month season, and smelled like cotton candy. I also recommend Outta the Blue, which had a black pepper/rose scent that I planted right at the edge of the walkway at the driveway. Tamora, Sharifa Asma, Fair Bianca, and other Austins whose names escape me now, were amazing! Pat at Roses Unlimited knew exactly which roses to recommend to me for my microclimate, so make sure to speak with her if you want the best and most successful roses. The Austins were NOT carefree, but I knew that before I bought them. I also had hybrid teas; lots of them, and again, Pat helped me select the least fussy ones. I mixed herbs, veggies, perennials and a few annuals among the garden, and lots of glass oddities. It was beautiful! Remember: did a million dollar hole, and that's half the battle.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    6 years ago

Just a note for anyone following along here, that this thread is a fairly ancient one - over 10 years old - so some of the info in it may no longer apply... also the OP doesn't appear to be currently posting on Houzz/GardenWeb so may not see responses. Having said that, welcome to the forum, Mary! Always an interesting subject for US members. :-)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

ARE and RU are still fabulous thankfully. Good thought though Comtesse, because many places are gone.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!