SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dillonlong

A complete novice to gardening with a TON of questions.

14 years ago

I'm extremely new to garden. I seem to be doing fairly well so far but I've got a bunch of questions.

My main project right now is a small collection of mango trees. I've only got all the way into plant-mode yet (the other two are still germinating) but it's about 7 inches tall. My questions regarding it were: It has pretty dark leaves, fairly light veins, and areas with reddish-brown color. These aren't spots but more of highlights to the leaves, especially around the stem area. I've seen photos and this looks normal. What say yee? It also appears to have a whitish (almost powdery, like on grocery market pineapples) coating on the main stem. Again, normal?

I've also got questions regarding sprouting apple, grapefruit, and kiwi seeds. Any tips or guides on how to do that?

LAST. Fungus gnats. For some reason, Organic Choice brand potting soil decided it would be a wonderful addition to ad fungus gnats to the soil (that or they came from my house - can we go with the first?). Either way, they're here. Other than being bloody annoying they don't seem to be doing any damage... Will it stay this way? I have another plant that had them and I managed to kill a bunch by setting the pot outside, letting all the larvae run to one side to escape the heat, and then running a lit lighter along the edge of the pot. Seems to have finished off a bunch of them. However, there's no way I'm going to risk my mango plant with such methods.

I'll try to get pictures up soon. Pictures of your own plants are always appreciated and welcome (especially if they're any of the above)!

Thanks!

-Dillon from Texas

Comments (5)