SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How to Relocate Rotor Head

I need to move/relocate a rotor head. I put in a new flower bed - the one in the center of the first photo below - and need to move the head from the far side of the bed to the inside, next to the lawn. The current (old) location, marked by a white yard stick, and the new location, marked by an orange flag in some of the photos, are labeled in the second photo below. The new position is at least ten feet away from the current position.

I would like to do it right and need some help advice. In the past, when I have relocated heads four to five feet, I have used Funny Pipe. (I relocated this head once before and that is why you see Funny Pipe in the photos.) Since I have to move it so far, I'm thinking that Sched 40 PVC should be used for the majority of the distance. Then use a short piece of Funny Pipe from the Sched 40 to the head. What do you think? Would that work? What parts do I need to buy?

The supply pipe is buried very, very deep - around 15 inches. Would it be ok to elbow up from the supply line and dig the new trench at only 10-15 inches deep? Or does Schedule 40 need to be that deep? Note that there will not have a lawn mower running across the new bed.

I do have PVC cutters, blue wet/dry PVC solvent, teflon tape, etc.

I live in Jacksonville, Florida where the ground does not freeze.

Below are many photos taken tonight after I dug down to the supply line. Thank you in advance for any advice. It is greatly...

Comments (12)