SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

My Soil Test Results, Opinions?

toxcrusadr
11 years ago

Thought I'd share my soil test results for my garden and a shady area in an oak and hickory forest where we're trying to get grass growing around a building. We live on limestone based clay here.

VEG GARDEN: Started with recently disturbed heavy clay in 1991, adding mostly compost with small amounts of fertilizers over the years. It has been at least 10 or maybe 15 yrs. since it was tested. At that time we had fruit trees not blooming and found that P was very low. I've used 12-12-12 on the lawn and garden to boost it although not real heavily.

All results in lb/acre. Note, lab asks for specific use and entered 'veg garden'. They had no recommendations for amendments.

pH 6.8 hi

P 208 v hi

K 795 excess

Ca 5380 hi

Mg 727 hi

Ca:Mg 7.4

OM 9.6%

CEC 17.5 meq

Overall I'm pretty proud of this stuff considering what we started with. Definitely time to quit the P and K though! If I use any fertilizer I will limit it to high N if the plants look anemic, such as 29-3-4 lawn fert. Any other suggestions? Is my Ca:Mg OK? I thought so since it is supposed to be around 7.

LAWN Second test is at our rural property, an unamended clay with a thin lawn we're trying to improve. I specified 'establishing new lawn' on the test form.

pH 6.0 med

P 25 v low

K 192 low

Ca 3076 med

Mg 426 hi

Ca:Mg 7.2

OM 2.5%

CEC 11.7

They recommended addition of gypsum to boost Ca, plus NPK in varying ratios depending on the type of grass. Probably use some 12-12-12 here and even spray on some of my big bag of soluble 20-30-10 stuff to boost the P and K.

I don't want to till, clay is heavy, probably full of roots, and although lawn is sparse I've reseeded and have grass coming up. So I plan to top dress with sifted city compost (did that once last year) to improve the organic matter. City compost has drywall scrap in it, so it's got gypsum built in.

Anything I'm missing?

Comments (17)