SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plympton_ma

Anyone have a 'mature' malus Pink Perfection of Prarifire?

plympton_ma
16 years ago

I have a large grass slope that leads down to to the vegetable garden. It gets full sun and for over 20 years was home to a group of four standard size peach trees. Despite the fact that the peach trees were removed a couple of years ago, I still can't get used to the bare treeless slope---although it is quicker and easier to mow the grass there now.

I've spent the last few days going through every book and catalog I have as well as on-line trying to narrow down a list of suitable ornamental flowering trees as replacements. I'm partial to the size and up-right spreading shape of those full sizes peach trees and I think their replacements are a tough call between Crataegus viridis 'Winter King' and my first choice, Malus 'Prarifire'.

I have two other crabs (Pink Perfection) which were supposed to attain 15'-30'. After 20 years, they are scarcely 10' tall and 10' wide! Fortunately, they're in a bed that's mulched and I don't have to try to mow around/under them with a tractor. Underneath the bark mulch and 6" of loam I had trucked in, is 40' of sand---most things on the property are stunted as a result.

If anyone could tell me that A) their Pink Perfection is only 10' tall so the size information has been wrong for all these years, or B) their Prarifire is growing in sand and is still at least 15' tall, it would make the decision making quite a bit easier :-)

The Prarifire crab and the Winter King hawthorn each have interesting bark and fruiting displays in their favor. The Prarifire blooms are the preferred color as they will be sandwiched between the white flowers of a grouping of doublefile viburnums and a hedgerow of common purple lilacs. If it's height is as stunted as Pink Perfection has been (10'), then it is a definite no-go.

The mal-odorous white bloom of the hawthorn would be a compromise if the tree gives me the shape and size I want. If it's mature height is stunted, it should still be acceptable.

Or, alternatively, I could search for a red flowering crab with good disease resistance that has an even larger mature height than Prarifire, with the same overall shape to it. I just wasn't ready to give up on Prarifire yet

Comments (2)