SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Your Favourite Red Roses, and a couple specifics?

13 years ago

I just ordered Monsieur le Capitaine Louis Frere (Hybrid Perpetual) from Cliff at EuroDesert ... I can find barely any information on this rose online, even on HelpMeFind. Does anyone on this forum grow this one? Is there anything you can tell me about it's growing habits? It sounds fairly thornless, and about medium height, which would be perfect. Some repeat but not much? Any personal experiences would be very helpful :)

I am also thinking about Alfred Colomb as a second red rose. I saw Jeri's photo and this one looks like a stunner! Again, is there anything you can tell me about it's growing habits?

Are there any other good reds that you would recommend. Which are your favourites? I know both above are Hybrid Perpetuals but that's certainly not a requirement!! I don't have space for a monster, but I'm looking for a nice true red rose. I don't have the space or patience for anything that suckers like crazy. Fragrance would be nice but not essential, same with repeat. I do need a rose that can survive a Zone 5 Canadian winter (HPs, Bourbons, David Austins ... most of these seem fine up here, along with the hardier classes of OGRs). I liked the sound of Braveheart, but that one is unavailable in Canada and I can't find a way to get it up here ...

Comments (20)