SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harborrose_pnw

A Tale of Two Climates; variation in rose blooms

harborrose_pnw
11 years ago

While living in the southern United States I grew a rose, 'Old Grey Cemetery Noisette,' which was found by our Ann Peck. My house was south of Nashville about 80 miles in north Alabama. It is a 7b zone, red acid clay, hot and humid during the summers. OGC was very healthy; I did not detect any bs or mildew on it while growing it there. This is an Alabama picture of it from September, 2009. It's been compared to 'Clothilde Soupert' in appearance.

{{gwi:266258}}

The blooms were a pale blush, very full, and probably about 2" to 3" if I remember right.

When we re-located to western Washington State I brought the rose with me because I liked the blooms and healthy shrub so much. I planted it in Washington in February, 2010 in my new garden.

I live on Puget Sound; we are an 8b climate, very humid but very mild temperatures. That year it was very rainy, grey and mild during the spring and summer. I planted it in full sun, very good acid soil, drainage was good. Perfect, actually. Except for the lack of sun and mild temperatures, anyway.

It developed a lot of mildew that spring, which I'd never seen on this rose, but no bs. It bloomed and looked like this in August of 2010. Those blooms were less than one inch.

{{gwi:266259}}

{{gwi:266260}}

The reason I tell you this story is that I've come to believe that there can be great variation in blooms, in color, petal numbers, shape and even size of blooms because of temperature, humidity, soil differences.

It is hard to believe that the pictures of the roses above are of the same rose. They are not even different clones of the same rose. They are of the same exact rose.

OGC taught me first hand that a rose cannot be identified strictly on bloom size, fragrance, color or even shape. Climate, soil, rainfall, temperature play a great part in shaping rose blooms. I am trying to learn to identify roses based on form, buds, sepals, canes, prickles, leaves ... there is so much to it, much more than I will ever be able to learn. I guess that's why roses are such an interesting plant.

One of the rosarians I respect the most has on her hmf page a designation of "beginner, 50 years." I've been growing them for about 15 years, and I am five steps below beginner, wherever that is. Anyway, this was quite a lesson for me, so I thought I'd share it.

You probably have some stories to tell too.
Gean

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz