SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Interpreting test results

2ajsmama
11 years ago

I need some help figuring out what's going on with my soil. I just had some new areas tested (trying to figure out where best to plant my cultivated blueberries). An earlier sample from same general area gave pH of 3.8, High OM, Very Low Nitrate, Low Ammonium, Low P, and High K, Ca, and Mg. I figured the extremely low pH was why the wild blueberries in that area might not be bearing fruit (though the leaves look fine, so that's weird with Very Low N).

15 ft over I have a nice patch of wild (lowbush) blueberries that do produce berries, tried to figure where to put the highbush so they wouldn't shade them, it's pretty mossy and rocky over there. Test results in new location are pH 4.2, Low Nitrate, High (150 ppm) Ammonium (!) Medium Low P, Low K, Low Ca, and Medium Mg. How can they be so different in the same general area, native unamended soil? And where would ammonium nitrate come from if chemical fertilizers or manure have never been applied?

I've got questions on new results from amended beds too, but I'll start a new thread on that. Thanks

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus