SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyj

Pls help me interpret "quartzite" test results

nancyj
9 years ago

I selected what I was told is a gorgeous slab of White Pearl quartzite, but it failed some of the tests while passed others. I've read all of Karin's incredibly helpful quartzite threads and many of other posters' results threads, but now that I've done my own tests I'm confused.

The stone passed the glass scratch test (raw edge of stone definitely grabbed and cut the glass bottle). But it failed the substance test miserably - I left the following substances on the stone overnight and got lots of etching: lemon juice (etch), lime juice (etch), cider vinegar (etch), red wine (stain & etch), mustard (slight stain/no etch), ketchup (slight stain/no etch).

I'm attaching a picture of my results. I guess I'm reluctant to accept that this isn't a quartzite because it's such a beautiful stone and much nicer than the wht macaubus I've been seeing locally (nothing like the gorgeous ones on GW!). For those who really have a quartzite, did you really not get any etching like I did?

TIA. I'm so bummed, I thought I found my stone. I'm exhausted and was so happy my search was done. Guess not, huh?

Comments (12)