SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Backup generator location etc.

tomplum
15 years ago

I have a Onan RV generator that I decided would be more useful as a backup generator. If we found ourselves with no power in our greenhouse especially it would be bad as we need to drive our fish tank pump at a minimum. So my thought was I could locate it in the corner of the garage, put in a transfer switch, etc and be able to maintain a few circuits.

As you research things such as exhausting, venting, etc -it gets a bit overwhelming. When these things are built in an rv box, they don't seem to overheat or have huge venting requirements. The generator install manual shows 500 cubic feet/ min needs to be able to be drawn through. Any examples you see are big generators. Am I just better off building a little shack out back and running cable to the main panel? Taking a couple feet of space out of the shed attached the the greenhouse is fightin' words!

Also, is the power from these clean enough for electronics? I've always heard the better generator manufactures claim they were more consistent that the basic say contractor type generator.

Comments (9)