SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yakimadn

water pipe insulation

yakimadn
16 years ago

Hey folks,

It's getting that time of year. It doesn't get much colder than about 15 degrees F. here in this area. I've got to run a water line above ground to the stalls behind the barn. I need to insulate them for obvious reasons but can't find a chart (if one exists) to tell me what I need to protect to what temp. I'm looking at a 1/2 to 3/4 inch plastic line and have the option of foam shafts about an inch thick to using rock wool or fiberglass insulation to wrap it. I also need to keep animals from ruining the insulation, so had the brainstorm of wrapping the pipe and running it through 4" PVC pipe (give me about 2-2 1/2 inches of insulation). Think this would keep me out of trouble? Another brainstorm I had (and need to open it up for a sanity check and/or fine tuning) is to use a small water heater tank (doesn't necessarily have to heat) and run the line to where I need it and from the tank and back to the tank with T's where valves are needed, and use a small circulation pump that either turns on at a certain temp or a timer every few minutes to keep the water from standing and freezing. I know that the smartest thing to do is to run the line in a ditch and use an underground shutoff, etc, etc...... But this is an afterthought and I have filled, levelled, and landscaped the area (got some big rocks in the way). Any advice would be really appreciated.

Dave

Comments (3)