SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

New construction and recirculating hot water pump

flseadog
16 years ago

At a meeting this morning our plumber suggested we install a recirculating hot water pump. I had never heard of this before and after hearing the explanation---insulated pipes, near instant hot water even at the furthest point from the tank in the garage, timer and thermostat so the pump only works when needed, and only installing one 120 gallon hot water heater instead of two 80 gallon heaters---I still wasn't convinced that there was much of a point to it since I live in central Florida. Waiting for really cold water from a faucet is more of a problem here.

Now that I've researched these systems on this forum I'd like to hear if anyone out there has an opinion on my situation. The tank will be 70 feet from the furthest tub and that will be a Kohler Tea for Two soaker that requires 60 gallons to fill. With young people who consider 30 minute hot showers a mere spritz and winter visitors creating a full house maybe I do need this feature.

The plumber conveniently did not mention a dollar amount for the upgrade in plumbing (insulated copper pipes everywhere)and says he'll give me an estimate if I'm interested. But on the whole he believes we would save money on both electricity and water if we go this route. What do you think?

Comments (14)