SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

Extreme Newbie Getting Started

marthavila
12 years ago

Hi All,

I know nothing about irrigation systems but I'm about to pay somebody to install one. Not good! While I've tried to get some quick schooling on the art and science of irrigation systems, I must say that my attempts to learn by lurking on your conversations or going to manufacturer's sites to figure out what I need is not helping me get up to speed fast enough. So I ask: would you be willing to help a total newbie get clear on some some basics? I hope so! Here's my deal:

I'm in a NYC, attached townhouse. At this point, I'm seeking to irrigate only the front garden beds which, altogether, account for less than 300 sf. More specificially, the beds are located in three separate areas: A southern border plot that is approx 10' x 18" and pictured on the left (roses and viburnums are to go here) and a center middle plot that is 10' x 14', pictured on the right (a Magnolia tree and shade-loving ground cover are here): {{gwi:328432}}

Lastly, there is a rear, middle plot that is 5' x 7' in size. That area is for two hydrangeas, a rose climber, a peony and a few day lillies: {{gwi:328433}}

The photos are mainly to show how the three plots are separated by an L-shaped concrete pathway system. As such, the irrigation system will need to start at the rear center plot --where the water source is to be located. However, the water lines must then be run underneath the concrete pathway that separates the rear and center middle plots as well as the under the pathway that separates the middle and border plots. (Because these pathways are all access areas to the house, I can't run the lines above ground because of the potential for trip hazards).

So far, I think what I want is a soaker hose irrigation system, with a 3-zone timer and a rain sensor. However, I've also been advised that I might want to install a drip line system using something other than soaker hoses, or a sprinkler system. Honestly, I'm totally confused! Bottom line, I'm looking to get the best watering system for a small area of 3 zones, without breaking the bank. In short, here's my question:

Given the size of my plots, what I'm attempting to grow, the hardscape issues, and the limits of a relatively modest pocketbook, what type of irrigation system would you suggest and what specific components do I need (including recommended products) to realize this plan?

TIA for your help!

Comments (5)