SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcs1366

Getting started (Seed Newbie)

tcs1366
17 years ago

Newbie to this forum and newbie to gardening with seeds.

I've decided to do most of my plants by seeds this coming year.

Here's what I'm doing.... I have some State property behind my house that I have been "cleaning up" for a few years. Last summer was the first time I tossed wild flower seeds and it turned out really nice.

This Fall, I cleaned up a larger area and topped it with some fresh black dirt. I'd like to do a lot of sun flowers (against the tall sound barrier wall from the highway) and fill in the area with various plants.

Here are some I'm thinking about:

Lavender (the bunnies love this stuff)

marigolds

4 O'clocks (I have fuschia and would love yellow)

Wild flower mix (I found 2 types in the Gurneys catalog)

**bird & butterfly mix, Dryland Mix

Dianthus

Sweet Pea

Cosmos

I'm looking for reseeders and perennials, and ones that will keep weeds from growing. (am i asking too much?)

Do sunflowers do best when the seeds are just tossed in the ground, or wintersowed?

I just read the Wintersowing FAQ which has me ready to start ASAP. In my back yard I have what we call a 3 season room. It's basically room in my back yard with lots of windows, but no heat so it can't be used year round.

I have tables in there -- so can i just set my seed trays out there, or is it best to keep them out in the elements? (away from the dogs reach)

any other seeds that would be recommended?

I'm also looking for perennials that grow great in the shade (north side of my house) that flower all season.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Comments (5)