SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtay_us

Comparing two bids: Hunter vs. Rain Bird; PVC vs. Poly pipe?

dtay_us
14 years ago

I'm currently comparing two bids from two certified irrigation contractors; one is a Hunter shop, and another is exclusively Rain Bird. Both came back with the same number of zones (7).

Hunter shop: Hunter Pro-C controller, 22 rotors, 15 heads (37 total heads); Rotors are Hunter PGP, Heads are Hunter Pro series.

Rain Bird shop: Rain Bird ESP controller, 21 rotors, 22 heads (43 total heads); Rotors are Rain Bird 5004 series, and heads are Rain Bird 1800 series.

The difference is that the Hunter contractor uses PVC plumbing under the ground whereas the Rain Bird contractor uses poly pipes, which are apparently suited for colder climates. The Hunter contractor, however, is claiming that I do not want poly pipe because they're prone to leaks. When I brought this up to the Rain Bird contractor, he offered a 5 year warranty against leakage to reassure me (his standard warranty is 2 years P&L, which is the same as hte Hunter contractor). I'm in the NoVA (DC metro) area.

Right now, the price difference is about $850 between the two, with the lower price going towards the Rain Bird contractor.

Should I be concerned about poly vs PVC? How does Rain Bird compared to Hunter?

Thanks,

David

Comments (3)