SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pauline13_gw

Dividing Shasta Daisy 'Becky'

pauline13
14 years ago

Last spring I ordered 3 Shasta Daisy 'Becky' plants. I am still very much a novice when it comes to perennials and, as it turns out, no one needs 3 of this plant. None of the 3 produced a single bloom last year, but they all grew into huge round clumps--none of which got taller than 10-12 inches. In the fall, I dug up one clump--giving some of it away and throwing some of it away. I dug up the second clump and planted parts of it in other beds. This spring I dug up the third clump and took parts of it to a plant swap and threw the rest of it away. However, this third clump had achieved some height so the pieces were not all that attractive.

Well, since this spring, all the pieces left in my yard have exploded and are finally blooming. I know for certain that I am going to have to divide them again in the fall because they are outgrowing their space. But, now, they are about 3' tall. I would like to keep pieces of them where they are, so what do I do? Do I lift the entire clump and divide it like I did before? Regardless, all the pieces are going to look like tall sticks. Am I supposed to cut the tops off?

Below are 2 pictures so you know what I'm talking about. I intentionally took the close-up of a gap in one of them so you might get an idea of what the stem area looks like. HELP!!

{{gwi:233383}}

{{gwi:233384}}

Comments (4)