SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynbornman

Ornamental tree for near patio (instead of japanese lilac)?

lynbornman
16 years ago

We have some plans for a decent size patio drawn up for this spring and several very large beds around it. We took the plans to a landscape architect this past weekend who recommended several trees and other plants. One side of the patio will have 3 serviceberries (autumn brilliance), the center of the patio will have a weeping purple beech, a small inner nook will have a sweetbay magnolia and the other far end is to have a japanese lilac tree. I love all of these selections and of course there will be numerous other plants around. However, I just realized that all of the blooming trees/shrubs are white flowers. Maybe I'm ok with that, but it might be nice to have one tree that has a different color bloom. So I was looking for possible alternatives to the lilac tree. The tree will be mostly sun with afternoon shade, zone 5, south side of house, no wind protection and size not much of an issue although not looking for a large shade tree. Any thoughts (including I'm stupid to toss the lilac based on bloom color) are most welcome! THanks, Lyn

Comments (20)