SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daizeyhead

Should I Remove Existing Sandbox from Base of Pine Tree?

daizeyhead
15 years ago

We moved into an older mid-50s home last year with lots of very large trees in the yard. A large pine tree in the back yard looks like its base has been used as a sandbox by a previous occupant: 6-foot long landscaping timbers have been used to form a box around the base, and it has been filled with playground sand approx. 6" deep. I have no idea how long this has been in place, but I know that covering the roots of a tree like that can suffocate it. The tree is still alive, and there are large breather roots poking out of the grass on the outside of the sandbox.

My question is: Should I remove the sand, or just leave it and assume that whatever damage has been done to the tree at this point cannot be undone anyway?

One of our VERY large oaks next to the house fell over without warning last September and pulled up part of our foundation, and I'm a little nervous about the health of our remaining trees. I'd like to avoid the death of this tree if possible, but wonder if we should just have it removed to be safe.

Comments (32)