SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
infomofo

Should I remove stress blossoms from my meyer lemon?

infomofo
13 years ago

I have a meyer lemon tree that I bought in May and lived outdoors. As I live in New York, I have moved the tree indoors for the winter. I have grow lights set up on it for about 12 hours a day, on a timer. When I initially moved the plant indoors the plant blossomed like crazy, which I attributed to the stress of moving it indoors, but now it appears to be doing fine.

I have learned a lot on these forums, and one thing was from a recent thread where AL said that a plant prioritized flowers, then fruits, then leaves, etc. My question is, there was a cluster of small green lemons on it that had just started before I moved the tree indoors. After all the blossoms started, that cluster has started to look unhealthy. Should I be pruning these new blossom clusters to allow the existing lemons to grow to maturity? How many blossoms should I allow to stay? Some have already pollinated. I am new here and I'm not sure how to upload pictures, but I've provided a link to a flickr picture of the cluster in question- you can also see in the same photoset pictures of the tree as a whole and the blossoms.

{{gwi:648293}}

Another question I have is that the flowers that have set indoors have been fairly pale and white, while when it was outdoors the flowers had a distinct purple hue. Is this an indication of something bad?

{{gwi:648295}}

Finally, I guess based on the pictures, can someone tell me for sure if this is a meyer lemon tree? The yellow lemons you can see on the tree are the first fruit that this tree has generated, and they don't appear to have the orange hue I normally associate with meyer lemons, and they are smaller. Is there a way to tell now, or should I just wait and see?

{{gwi:648296}}

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the great advice on this forum.

Comments (8)