SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seagreen_turtle

White Pine tree healthy from the bottom branches to the top but...

Someone has complained to the city that my white pine tree has needles that extend out to the street. The city has asked me to trim the tree so the needles are flush with the curb.

Obviously the needles are so soft that they don't scratch a passing truck that may be brushed from them so that's not the issue. I've noticed that many prices are trimmed up until they have a long bare trunk. Those trees seem less healthy than mine. Every branch is perfect on mine - no brown needles, etc. It kills me to cut these branches off. I will post a picture after work tomorrow to show how it's situated by the road.

My question, and I know I may get laughed at but that's ok, is there a way I could tie the branches up a bit until the summer is over and no one complains? These branches have stayed the same size (They're not growing outward near the base).

I also have a grey owl juniper, a beautiful specimen that has some needles that barely hang an inch into the road at tire level. I have had many, many trucks from the house across the street and their guests, drive all over it and break off branches well onto my property. The needles are very soft and won't scratch cars either. I cut couple of branches last year and, of course, that area didn't do well over the winter because of the cuts and the trucks back further into my yard after I trimmed the juniper last year. The needles turned brown, etc. It's just starting to look 100% healthy and now I being asked to cut it again.

In my suburb, a burned out monoculture of grass and a dead tree is held in much higher esteem than my verdant yard with grass/clover mix and a variety of plants that I haven't cut into boxes or balls. The guy diagonally across the street tried to kill his small flowering crab tree and finally managed it this year. He put weed killer up to the trunk and then wondered why it died. He left it there.

Sorry for the rant! I just hate pruning something healthy and beautiful. I know many pines are trimmed up because the lower branches get shaded out but mine isn't like that.

Thanks in advance if you can advise me.

Comments (22)