SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momstar_gw

Lost opportunity

momstar
13 years ago

I am a born again composter. But my current hubby never knew I ever WAS as composter until this year. So now I have collected pallets and made a two bin system in the back yard. This was already a compromise as he didn't want a compost pile and I wanted one like Jon's.

Then I created a third lasagna type pile next to the two bins. We found some packing "crates" that were made of 2x6 pine sides, about 2'x4' in size. No top, no bottom. So I just stacked six of them together and started piling stuff in.

Now both pallet bins are full, the lasagna stack is to the top of the crates (about 3' tall). But still I hunger for more raw material. As I said once before, my son mows a few lawns to help pay for his football and wrestling camps. And he piles the grass clippings in front of the compost "alter". Then I go out and layer or mix in or do whatever I think is the right thing to do at the moment.

The tragedy is that I am short on browns. (I said browns, not brains.) I have a whole summer of grass clippings from 7 yards to look forward to and the ever elusive brown to chase. I've used up all the leaves that I could gather this spring, I've started using shredded office paper and newspaper but I'm really looking to expand my material options.

So Saturday we were driving home and I heard the unmistakable music of a tree service chipper/shredder. Right at the end of our street was a huge truck, with a huge chipper/shredder, and two huge guys shoving branches through the shredder.

But alas, I could not convince that man (hubby) to stop and let me ask for some. I just wanted a wheelbarrow (or six) full to add to all the grass! I didn't want (at least I didn't admit to wanting) the whole truck load.

So now it is Monday. I am sitting at work and longing for the wood chips that could have been mine. Next time I will just walk back up the street with my wheelbarrow and haul them home.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living