SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay1028

One year old well needs priming

16 years ago

After 3 months of inactivity during the winter, my one year old pump will not work without priming and priming takes about 5 minutes. This is the procedure that is required to get it to work. Maybe someone has seen this before.

Remove the 1/2" plug in rear of pump and fill pump with water and also the 1 foot pipe on the output of the pump (have a hose bib in that line). Turn on pump and turn on city water to hose bib to keep water flowing to pump, if not, pump will just run dry and nothing happens. Then I have to crack open the 1/2" plug and let some water and air escape and while doing so for a minute, I notice a different sound coming from the pump and cap off the 1/2" plug and then the well works for one and sometimes two days. The the whole procedure is performed again. Pump is 1hp Berkeley.

Have suspected the check valve that is in the 1 foot vertical run to the pump inlet and also maybe a small crack in the 8' horizontal run from the well head. Replaced the pipe and valve. No different. Dropped a line down the 1-1/4 well pipe and found 8' of water in the 22' deep well.

Tried the shaving cream around all the exposed joints [that are all new now] and nothing is noticed. Called the pump vendor and he says pump cannot be bad after just one year and suspects well going bad since 8'of water in a 1-1/4" pipe is not very much.

Any ideas and help is much appreciated. I have run out of ideas.

Jay

Comments (3)