SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rathersmallbunny

Tree roots invading raised beds?

rathersmallbunny
9 years ago

Hi everyone, and happy Friday!

Last summer we removed 2 liquidambar trees in our backyard and put in two new raised beds. Initially I grew vegetables in them, but those #$%@! squirrels kept eating them so I decided to put roses (Souvenir De La Malmaison and Louise Odier, waiting expectantly in my pot ghetto) in instead. Yesterday I started turning the soil over in order to prepare for planting, and was horrified to find that it was completely overgrown with tree roots!

The soil I had put into the raised beds was a mix of potting soil and chicken manure, so it was nice and loose last fall. Now it's a tangled mess and I had to cut and pull out masses of what looks like reddish brown tree roots. The question is - what is causing the roots? Is it the redwood trees you can see around the corner of the house (about 30-40 ft away) or is it the ground down stumps of the liquidambar trees (about 5 ft from the boxes)? If it's the redwood trees then my roses probably have no chance, unless I dig in and remove all the roots every year, which I'm not looking forward to. :(

Comments (6)