SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

rare albas missing again

nastarana
10 years ago

My Vintage Gardens orde came yesterday. Overall, I am very pleased. Order would have been sent from CA Monday and arrived in NY on Wednesday. I waited a week and a half for a registered letter from a bank earlier this year! Quickness of transit is only one reason I am really going to miss VG.

However, one rose I really was looking forward to growing, the alba/aryeshire hybrid Aanchen v. Therau was "not available". sigh. The same thing happened last year with another alba, Ferox. I ordered, paid, order was confirmed and then Ferox became not available.

I did receive Sappho, which came complete with a lovely white bud, which I am, sorry Kim, going to let bloom. Anything else but an alba , I would not risk it, but albas are extremely vigorous. My semiplena has now survived two seasons of rabbit attack, and I once had a Belle Amour which survived being mowed. Twice.

I am sure VG is doing the best they can, and the rest of my order was in excellent condition. Show Garden, the Brownell climber which just resurfaced this spring, had 4 buds, which I pinched off.

I would, however, like to say, that if there is anyone out there who is in some fashion cornering the market on albas, pleeaase do make them available in commerce sometime in the next decade or so. You do know you can name your price, right? OGRs in general might be falling off in sales but I have noticed that nurseries which offer any of the albas do seem to sell out of them well before the season ends.

Naturally I turned right around and placed another order. I had a credit for AvT, so it was like spending no money at all for one selection and then a box holds 4, so it is silly to spend $20. to ship one rose across country when you could have three more.

Comments (4)