SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Re: True Story About 'Rare' Hypothyroidism in Dogs

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

This was posted at the Kitchen Table Forum back in the early spring of 2004.

It touched me so much that I copied it & saved it.

Although it's pretty long, I wanted to share it over here.

The "RCMP" referred to is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police;

Ben was a search & rescue dog.

He belonged to Ptuny, but he worked with the RCMP.

How a gal in Texas saved a dog in Manitobas life!

Posted by Ptuny (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 10:03

My first post;

(What is important here is the time! Ben was about to travel to Dr. Daves with me to be euthanized, and I was waiting for my friend to pick me up when I read Sylvias post):

If I have not been attentative to the posters here, please accept my apologies. My Ben is very ill, and I am in the process of accepting the fact that I will have to have him put down soon. He has been having violent seizures, (Up to 10 per hour), and the meds do not seem to be helping all that much!

Needless to say, I am despondent, but have accepted the inevitable.

The vet feels that he is comfortable now, and although the seizures are down to about one an hour, they are getting to be longer each time. I will miss my Ben, he has been a joy in my life that has been un-paralled to none, and I dont know how I am going to cope.

~~P'tuny

I was waiting for my friend to come and pick us up so we could go to the vet to have Ben Euthanized, as I realized that all your comments were so kind

In amongst all the wonderful posts that I received, I read this one from Sylvia Texas;

Posted by: sylviatexas (My Page) on Fri, Mar 5, 04 at 15:50

Check his thyroid at once.

Don't wait, don't let the vet argue with you.

Make them do it NOW.

In fact, if they say they have to send it off or something, make them give him thyroid hormone.

Thyroid can be a sudden onset thing, & vets don't think to check it.

(I sent you an email too).

___________________________-

Posted by Ptuny (My Page) on Fri, Mar 5, 04 at 17:33

I posted this on my original thread, but felt that it warrented a post of it's own

'K all, thank-you so much for the wonderful wishes. I read Sylvia Texas' comment on the thyroid thing, called the Vet immeditely, he gasped, and said get him here right now!

I called the RCMP, and they took him in a cruiser to the Vet clinic 20 miles away. (You dont want to know how fast that trip was.Thank goodness for Bens bonding with them.)

Ben has now received a thyroid hormone, and the tests are being evaluated right now. So Maybe all will be okay! But I will not hold my hopes up 'till I hear an absolute comfirmation from Dr. Dave!

Ben is staying at the vet clinic tonight, as Dr. Dave wants to watch him carefully for the night!

~~P'tuny "

P/S

Being that Ben is often called to be a "Working Dog", The RCMP were able to help. For this I am so greatful, What goes around, comes around, and today these gratious Police officers have re-paid Ben in full

Posted by Ptuny (My Page) on Fri, Mar 5, 04 at 18:59

I am sitting here crying my eyes out! Ben will be okay, his thyroid was the problem. Once Dr. Dave gets him all settled on meds, he will decide if surgery is an option!

I cannot believe that a wonderful woman way far away in Texas, whom I have never met saved my doggies life!

This is to much, and I thank all of you for your wonderful support! I really do not know how I can show my gratitude, other than by making a $500.00 donation to the Vet clinic, so someone less fortunate, that cannot afford help will get it for their pet.

Because Ben works with the RCMP, his medical costs will be covered by them.

Here is Ben, for those of you that have not seen a pic of him. He is a very large dog, X golden lab/Rottweiler. He has an unbelievable sense of smell, and has helped the RCMP find three people lost in the local area. When he sees a police car, he waits, as he thinks he's going for a ride!

This is Ben holding his basketball. He gets two a year, the new one he chases around the yard, and the old one (Deflated), he beats up on LOL.

Again, the POWER of the KT has spoken!

~~Who is literally jumping with joy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: How a gal in Texas saved a dog in Manitobas life!

Posted by: Marilyn_C (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 10:23

And, like I said in my original post...no telling how many dogs Sylvia has saved, because now the vet will think to look at thyroid problems under similar situations...and if this happens to one of our dogs, then we know to suggest that to the vet. So, I thank Sylvia too...from all of us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: nodakgal (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 10:35

P'Tuny, You must be on top of the world this morning! :)

I am so happy for you and dear Ben! Give that boy a hug from me!

Posted by: ImaBusyBee (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 11:04

What a cool story...I will share that with others I know...

Posted by: missmaggierock (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 11:05

I have shared this story with everyone I have talked to since yesterday afternoon!!! I think this is about the best thing I have heard in a long time!!!

Don't go to the doctor or the vet until you talk to the peeps at the KT!!!!!

Posted by: Diane_SWMich (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 11:18

This post moved me to tears! What a very happy ending! I am so thankful that Sylvia posted the thyroid info and you read it before leaving for the vets!

Di

Posted by: imabest (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 11:19

Were so happy that you and Ben are ok!!

You made our day!!

And a big thank you to syliva~~~~~ Hugs for you all Imabest

Posted by: Cherryfizz (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 11:23

How wonderful for you Ptuny and Ben! Sylvia was in the right place at the right time. Angels do walk among us.

Anne

Posted by: Silverdove (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 12:13

What a great story. It brought tears to my eyes.

Posted by: Country_Bumpkin_AL (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 14:07

I am still amazed at this story and can't help thinking of the "what ifs"! What if 'Tuny hadn't checked the posts...again..."What if" Sylvia hadn't been here yesterday to respond. Simply put,it was MEANT for Sylvia to be here and it was MEANT for Petunia to check again and read Sylvia's post! I am so happy for Ben and Petunia!!! This story needs to be publish...somewhere!!!

Posted by: Wachusettgrad61 (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 14:11

I am speechless. That is just wonderful. wow....Give that pooch a hug from me willya...??

Hugs,

WG61

Posted by: Kris_MI (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 15:44

Wonderful news. I'm so glad Ben is going to be okay!!!

Sylvia how fantastic you are!!

Kris

Posted by: dollydolots (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 16:19

Isn't it wonderful the mysterious ways

that help comes when needed. Sylvia was one

one of these happenings. I am so glad

that P'Tuny has her Ben back.

Dollydolots

Posted by: Minnie_TX (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 16:36

I'm rejoicing with you too. It must have been the KT power that sent Sylvia to check the forum when she did. Congratulations to you both!!!

Posted by: Linda_Ohio_now_GA (My Page) on Sat, Mar 6, 04 at 19:57

Giving some special thanks for the mysterious ways this has all worked out to save Ben. And sending a special hug to Sylvia. ((((((( Sylvia))))))))

Years ago, we had a collie mix put down, due to seizures that medicine for epilepsy wasn't handling, and now this makes me wonder.

Posted by: Aunt_Tawny (My Page) on Sun, Mar 7, 04 at 8:34

Me too ...... Just put our pup to sleep less than two weeks ago because of cluster seizures....... How does one really know? I'm glad 'Tuny got her doggie back to health.... but now I wonder about our dog too.....

Posted by: luv4pets (My Page) on Sun, Mar 7, 04 at 8:47

Great story and one all of us Kters will remember fondly. Ben is a lucky boy to have an owner like you Ptuny and a circle of friends like the Kt.

Angel~

Posted by: Charlee (My Page) on Mon, Mar 8, 04 at 17:11

Oh 'Tuny! I am sooooo happy for you and Ben!

I had to come looking for this post cause I was afraid to just ask outright.

Kt peeps are the best.

Charlee

ps give Ben a big squeeze and a kiss from me, ok?

Posted by: Judith (My Page) on Mon, Mar 8, 04 at 18:00

Wow! That is really amazing. This story does need to be published or put on TV or something. It could help a multitude of dogs all over the country if it were known. I, myself, had a 6 year old Cocker Spaniel put down several years ago because she started having siezures and didn't recover from the last one. Now I am wondering if it could have been thyroid. The vets don't think of it, at least mine didn't. He didn't know what was causing the siezures and thought it must be some kind of a congenital defect. This is just a wonderful outcome. Thank goodness you read the post BEFORE taking the dog to be euthanized. How awful it would have been to have seen it after. This is such a wonderful outcome. I am so happy it turned out this way for you and Ben and now maybe other dogs lives will be saved. Thank you Sylvia. Judith

Posted by: sylviatexas (My Page) on Mon, Mar 8, 04 at 20:07

Judith, it scared me when Ptuny wrote that she had been waiting for her ride to the vet & decided to check the email one last time.

I had been getting ready to shut down the computer & leave, & I decided to check the KT just one last time.

(Then, of course, I stayed here pacing until she posted that it was thyroid & Ben was doing well.)

Four people have posted that they've lost dogs due to seizures whose causes were never diagnosed, leaving their mommas to grieve and to wonder.

One person said her dog's thyroid problem was diagnosed & treated, but only after 3 visits to the vet.

The reason I knew was because I lost a Golden to this.

Sunny began having seizures late one night, & was limp when I carried & dragged her (all 80 or so pounds of her) to my car to take her to the vet.

She kept having seizures, no matter what drugs he gave her.

So I went to another vet.

And another.

I had gotten her from Golden Rescue, so I called the Rescue representative, had had Goldens for years & who knew *everything* about them.

She called her vet.

Her vet called Texas A & M, our veterinary college.

They all ruled out thyroid because her thyroid had been checked only weeks before.

I've since learned that thyroid can be very sudden onset, & that certain breeds, including Goldens, are prone to thyroid disorder.

When the third vet called me to pick her up & take her home to die because they couldn't control the seizures, in desperation I called the vet I had gone to before I moved.

When I got Sunny into her office, Dr. Post leaned close for a moment, & stood up & said, "It smells like thyroid." (!)

She gave Sunny thyroid hormone right then, but of course it was too late.

Tell everybody you know about this.

Tell your vets, tell your family & friends & neighbors & people you see at work & people you meet walking their dogs, to be sure to have thyroid tests done for any doggie having seizures.

And bless you Ptuny & Ben!

Yours is the "happy ending" story that got this information to a lot of people.

(Ben!

Go pull some more lost people out of the snow!

Drive that police cruiser!

Discipline that basketball!)

hugs to all,

sylvia

Posted by: Judith (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 10:10

I am going to post about this story on our Pets Froum. This is something that everyone who has dogs should know about.

Judith

Posted by: Annz (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 12:39

I am so glad this had a happy ending! I think many dogs lives will be saved because of it.

We just have to be the ones to keep pressuring vets to test 'everything'..........especially since thyroid isn't part of the basic blood panel.

Posted by: Talley_Sue_NYC (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 13:49

Ptuny, call your local paper--this is a great story! And that will help get the word out, too.

And I'm so happy for Ben!

Posted by: kim_okla (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 14:02

That is such wonderful news.

Posted by: Maddie_in_KY (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 14:14

(X) (X) (X) (X) (X) (X) (X)

That's me doing cartwheels for you!!!! What an incredible story!!!

And also--people that are owned by cats--please have the thyroid checked with them, too. I lost my beloved Asia in January due to a mis-diagnosed thyroid problem, that was eventually diagnosed, but the problems it caused were beyond help.

Posted by: weed30 (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 16:39

Oh that is just about the greatest thing I have heard lately! I am SO HAPPY for you, for Ben, and for all of us who got to read about this wonderful story with such a perfect ending.

WOW!!!!

Posted by: TeresaVA (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 16:51

I guess I have skipped over this post today, since this is my first look at it-but I am literally just AMAZED!!! Wow! What a wonderful story with an even better ending!! And Ben, you are quite the handsome guy!

Ptuny & Ben-CONGRATS!!

Sylvia-Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Posted by: jannAZ (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 18:23

So glad it's good news.

Now I have a question. What is it with half-Rotties and basketballs? My half-Rottie (whose other half is basset, and yes, she looks as funny as that sounds) ***loves*** the basketball that got thrown in the back yard because no one wanted it. She rolls it all over the yard, growling and grumping because she can't get her mouth around it.

So far, she hasn't destroyed hers, but it wasn't for lack of trying!

Jann

Posted by: lakeguy35 (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 22:51

WOW!! I'm glad to hear that your big guy Ben is okay! This place amazes me daily, what a great bunch of people.... I don't what it is but it sure comes through when people need it!

David

Posted by: Nancy_in_Mich (My Page) on Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 23:56

Wow! A girl wanders over to the KT to see if anyone else is having an odd thing happen when posting, and look what she finds! I just emailed this thread and the original thread to my dog-sitter. She'll probably send it all around the world. Sylvia, you must feel so grateful that your tragedy gave you the knowledge to help Ben and Petunia! I am so sorry you suffered so back then, but so glad that you were there on Friday. Ben looks like a fine, fine guy! Petunia, your ability to share your feelings was what saved your boy. If you had been crying there alone instead of being brave enough to tell the KT, I don't want to think about what would have happened. I am so happy for all of you and for our little community!

Posted by: tahlequahgardens (My Page) on Wed, Mar 10, 04 at 8:08

P'Tuny I did not even open this till today. I am not relly a pet person, and don't open a lot of pet threads. I did read your original letter, as I really felt for you, to loose your pet.

Don't get me wrong, I like some animals, and love my daughters dogs, but I am highly allergic to almost all animals, and have taken a HUGE step back from them, because of this.

Now, I am so glad, to have opened this thread too.

Give Ben a hug for me.

Moni

Posted by: GingerTN (My Page) on Wed, Mar 10, 04 at 8:45

Sylvia you are wonderful! Ben is a beautiful dog, I'm so happy he was saved.

ginger

Posted by: JoAnn_Ks (My Page) on Wed, Mar 10, 04 at 11:25

Such a super story. Blessings to Sylvia for being there. So glad Ben is going to be okay and Ptuny is happy again. Hugs to all.

Posted by: patriciakw (My Page) on Wed, Mar 10, 04 at 12:59

i cry everytime i read this :)

Posted by: Cinderella (My Page) on Wed, Mar 10, 04 at 15:24

THis is incredible. I am so happy that this turned out well.

What a wonderful story to read!!

Comments (11)