SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveberry

Q's re: dogs, coffee grounds and gardens

steveberry
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm interested in using waste coffee grounds in my garden but I have a dog. I have a whole bunch of questions about the process-- mostly about dogs and coffee, and some just about the use of coffee in the garden.

First-- can I simply dig it into the soil without composting it, or is it too much of a "brown" to be used as anything other than a mulch? I know about the issues of digging in browns vs. using them as a mulch and have some concerns with coffee in this regard. Of course, part of the reason I'm considering digging it in is because I have a dog and don't want him to have ready access to it, incase he tries to eat it.

Second-- if I dig it in can it still be dangerous to dogs that might dig/eat some soil if its been mixed in like an amendment? My concern is that there's still going to be coffee grounds all around in the soil-- and dogs like to dig in freshly tilled soil. It sounds sort of like a recipe for problems, but I don't have any experience here. Am I being over cautious?

Third-- I've read that coffee grounds can mold when used as a mulch on potted plants (indoors and out). Is this true? And if so, why? Can it be prevented? I had a friend have a similar experience using soy bean hulls outdoors in a garden-- they molded and smelled bad on top of the soil, and seemed to sort of rot and decompose in a smelly way when mixed into the soil (in uncomposted form).

Basically-- how can I use coffee grounds in my garden (particularly if I have a dog)? I would love some input from those with more experience than I.

Thanks!

Comments (14)