SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Q. re: Knock Out rose - my 1st rose

njmomma
13 years ago

I've tried roses years ago but they were too much effort so today, at Lowe's, I was lured by the knock out roses and decided to buy one.

I bought the single regular red one, not double or pink, though I was tempted.

It came in an 8 inch pot and I put it in a 12 inch pot with an inch of gravel on the bottom and good potting mix soil and mixed in the packet of Rose fertilizer it came with. And, of course, watered it in.

IT LOOKS GREAT!

I'm planning on planting it in late August as I don't think it would do well in a pot over winter. Plus, I really bought it for the garden, not for a pot.

OK, now my questions:

1 - I heard they look good grouped together so will it look lonely being all alone? Should I buy 2 more?

2 - How big do they get and how fast do they grow? And, if I buy 2 more, how far apart should I plant them? 3 feet?

3 - Does it really bloom all summer? Besides dead heading, do I need to prune it during the summer to produce more blooms?

4 - When should I prune it in general - spring or fall?

I'm so tempted to buy a different rose I saw there that was rainbow sorbet colored - so gorgeous! Can't recall the name, but I'm afraid so I just bought the knock out.

THANKS!

Natanya

Comments (9)