SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wplayer

Possessed Sprinklers Turned On By Themselves Today

wplayer
12 years ago

So, my sprinklers are possessed. Although the water to the sprinkler system isn't shut off (unusually warm weather recently), the sprinkler system is turned off at the control box. I woke up this morning to one of the sprinkler zones in the back running. Turned on completely on its own.

Background:

I was looking at the system a few weeks ago since I had noticed some water in the box occasionally a few months ago when they were running regularly. My investigation a few weeks ago found that the front sprinklers (different green, in-ground box than the backyard sprinklers) worked fine, but the rear/backyard sprinklers did not...just an occasional humming from what I believe to be the solenoids.

Today it was raining and the green box was full of water. The wires have water-tight wire nuts on them, but I don't know if one of them has failed. One zone turned on by itself and would not turn off. The control box is in the "off position". I tried the other zones in the backyard and magically they work again -- albeit at a much reduced water pressure because of the one zone that would not turn off.

Anyway, I ended up having to shut off the water to the sprinkler system to get it to stop. Any ideas what's going on here? Seems to me that it's electrical. Does power have to come from the control box for the sprinklers to turn on? Please help.

Comments (9)