SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_e_bob

new rider can't go uphill. whats wrong?

bill_e_bob
16 years ago

I just got a used Poulan 14.5 Hp 42" hydrostratic tractor, and I'm trying to find out if something is wrong with it or if I just expect too much. It runs smooth & cuts great & seems perfect, as long as I'm on a PERFECTLY flat piece of my land. Any hill at all, and the thing will barely move forward. In fact, I can't mow the grass up by the street because my driveway is a steep hill and it won't go up there. There are 2 hills in the lawn that are about 5% grades, which it will barely climb if I rock back & forth to help it along, and the driveway is nearly 10% and it just comes to a complete stop there no matter what I do. So basically, this mower is useless unless I can fix the problem. The tires don't spin when it decides the hill is too steep, it just sits there like when you're in a car and the clutch pedal is half engaged on a hill. So I figure one of 3 things is the problem:

1) The transmission/clutch is slipping, so as soon as its under extra load it can't propell the mower. If this is the problem, how do I fix it? I'm not at all familiar with lawn mower transmissions, particularly not hydrostatic ones.

2) 14.5 HP just isn't powerful enough for a yard with my topography (there are 2 hills in the lawn that are about 5% grades, and the driveway is nearly 10%). If this is the problem, how much horsepower do I need?

3) my yard is just not suitable for a riding mower and this was a bad idea.

So, what are your opinions? What can I do?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions