SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemsister

Argh, I can't figure out what is wrong with my peas!

jemsister
9 years ago

I can't figure out if I'm overwatering, underwatering, it's too hot, or they aren't spaced enough? I was told they could grow a couple of inches apart and that they would climb each other, and they seem to be doing that. But they have been struggling for a couple of weeks now, and I can't figure out what to do. They get wilted during the sunny part of the day (sunrise until about 2, then they get shade the rest of the day), so I'm thinking it might be heat.

I'm monitoring the soil very carefully, trying to keep it moist but not soggy (you can't wring any water out, if that makes sense, but the soil is still damp). There are about three or four vines that are yellowing, so I thought maybe overwatering, but I pulled one to check the root, and the root looked great--nice and healthy. The rest of the vines are more of the normal vine color, but they are very droopy in the sun. It hasn't been extraordinarily warm here. In the mid 70s.

I picked a couple of strange looking leaves off a vine that has the normal coloring, and they look like this. They are new leaves from the very top of the vine. Is my plant diseased? Last year I grew my peas in full south facing sun, spaced about 6-10" apart, and in poor soil to boot, and they grew so incredibly well. I didn't have any of these problems. But they are growing in a new spot, only get morning and a couple of hours of afternoon sun, and they are in good, new soil. Spacing is about 2" apart, like I had read. Are they just choking each other out? Would it be worthwhile to sever some of them to give the rest more room?

Comments (27)