SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshallkey

Garden soil Preparatiom

12 years ago

Newly retired, my first attempt at organic vegatable gardening. I the have plowed and tilled an area that hasn't been gardened for at least 20 yrs. There was a scarcity of worms in the soil. It has a clayish content but not too bad. I know the soil needs to be built up. I have access to good compost(cow manure,grass clippings , leaves) and rabbit manure. I plan to sprinkle just a light dusting of wood ashes before planting. Maybe a small scoop of rabbit droppings in each planting hole and then broadcast some droppings around the plants. Then use compost as a mulch over the whole garden. Then of course this fall after harvesting till the entire garden, add more compost and chopped fall leaves on top. Next spring till all that in and repeat the entire process. Does this sound like a good basic plan. If not, any advice on any part of the process would be appreciated. By the way, I forgot to mention about 1/5th of my compost is not quite finished, therefore the mulching technique rather than tilling it into the soil.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor