SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
convexles72

Secretly addicted to this forum...normal?

ConvexLes72
15 years ago

Hi. My name is Leslie, and I may be addicted to composting. And, I've noticed, this forum seems to have a LOT of activity. (More so than other GW forums.) But, it's cool! At least, I'm really enjoying it; finding myself lurking around here after dark... reading about compost. What's with this endeavor that seems so...(looking for the just the right adjective here)...Compelling? Intriguing?

Anyway, I 'inherited' a compost pile along with the house I bought in Jan. I have no idea what's in there, but it's huge... and deep. Full of 'stuff'. (Most of which, I can not identify. But, I do know that it's not really been touched for the last two years, or so.)

I found a local nursery around here, they are letting me 'work for plants.' Worked all day. Came home exhausted. think I'm tired? Nope. Sat on the couch for a whopping 5 minutes, and then BOOM... next thing I know...I'm out messing around with that darn compost pile. (again.) I mean... on my hands and knees... laying IN the compost pile... sifting through there by hand, trying figure out what might be in there. What's the matter with me? What's REALLY so entertaining about playing in the compost pile anyway?

(Thank goodness I have a privacy fence...What kind of crazy person burrows herself around the compost pile for Friday night entertainment? Sheesh.)

Well, I've read all these posts about steaming compost piles... and strangely... it excites me for some reason. I admit it. It's like... I just NEED to create one of these. I need to see the evidence of accelerated decomposition before my very eyes; and I won't be satisfied until I can actually witness it for myself... and I mean, up close and personal. But alas... so far, I've been stuck with just a plain, old, cold, and boring pile.

But, after reading about this subject for countless hours on this forum... I felt motivated... AND...I officially tried 'turning the old inherited pile' tonight. And all I can say is, Ouch. My back is really killing me. I'm thinking... this is hard work. Even the 'fork' part of my 'pitchfork' seems to agree... it fell off the handle as a result of this experience. (a hand-me down, but even so...)

Anyway, after an hour or so...I thought to myself... this thing is too bulky. There is too much mass in here. I can't possibly turn in this big old pile on a regular basis. So, instead... I just took the plunge... and I proceeded to sift through the WHOLE DARNED THING. By hand. (Loved every minute of it, BTW) Removed a pail full of dumb rocks. Removed everything recognizable that I could find... and ultimately... turned an old dog kennel area of my inherited yard, (which I never have used anyway)... into a SECOND compost pile. Yippee! This... this is where I want my really hot pile to be.

Ok... so this new pile... my goal is to get it hot. I mean, REALLY SMOKIN'. I need to see some actual STEAM.

The first layer, in direct contact with solid ground... is mostly greens. (At least, I think so?) Mostly, it's recent weeds pulled from the yard, and... *ahem*... clumps of turf grass (with roots)... which (at last minute, and for the sole purpose of this 'experiment) I decided... reallyt didn't need to be there anyway.

(So, am I a composting addict?)

Also: I raided my fridge for anything, sort-of 'green' that was even remotely past it's prime... like spinach. Added 2 days worth of coffee grounds. (I even called the local Starbucks, but they were out of grounds for today) Anyway... I spread this material about 5-8 inches deep, across about a 4' by 6' area of the old dog kennel, and then watered it down real good.

Next layer: lilac branches, busted up into small pieces... plus old woody mulch that I scraped off the rest of my inherited yard. Spread that out evenly across the top of first layer. Watered that down really good. Finally, topped it off with some plain old hay. (Wet it down too, since I seemed to be on a roll.)

By that time it was dark outside, couldn't see what I was doing anymore, had to go inside.

I'm picking up a pile of used coffee grounds at Starbucks, 8 am tomorrow morning... but

Question #1:

Other than more coffee grounds... what can I do to really heat up this pile in the reasonably near future? Yes, I am obsessed. What I really want to know: how long does it take to get a really nice hot steamy pile going????

Question #2?

Regarding the remaining material in original compost pile, "pile #1"...

In color, it's just pitch black 'stuff'... but it feels more like plain old dirt to me. Since I didn't technically put it there ... and since I don't REALLY know what's in it... how can I tell if it's 'done' or not? Do I dare add it to my veggie garden, just 'as is' ...or should I be careful about where I put it?

(The only identifiably "weird" thing I've found in there so far, has be just an old shoelace...)

Observation: contained in pile #1... there exists, the biggest, most FATTEST, most long and plumpy nightcrawlers, that I have ever seen in my life. I mean, they are really 'lethargic' looking.

(FYI...I'm a fisherman. And, if I put one of these things on a hook... I'm afraid they might 'sleep through' the ordeal...what's up with that? something wrong with them?) Frankly, if I didn't know better... I'd swear these worms were drunk! So, is this normal nightcrawler behavior for your average compost pile? Or, could it be an indication that something is WRONG with the pile? Is there anything to do with composting that could be make nightcrawlers seem, 'under the influence' ...of anything? A good sign? Bad sign?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. I can take pictures in the morning, if someone will tell me how to post them... THANKS! I'm so excited about having my own compost pile(s)...

Leslie in CO ;)

Comments (33)