SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunqueen57

Need help with ideas for FL structure

sunqueen57
10 years ago

Hey! I live in south central Florida not too terribly far from where the tropic begin. I'm in the process of building a semi-permanent structure. At first I was going to build some sort of a frame but then I came across some things a neighbor put out for trash so I nabbed them. They're 5 gallon buckets that have been filled with cement and each one has a large hollow pipe standing up in the middle. They stand at 6' tall including the cement base. The circumference of the opening of each pipe is just under 1 1/2". It narrows at the top, as if another pipe was meant to slip over it. If I can get the top 2" cut off (my plumber might have a steel pipe cutter), then 2x2 lumber would fit easily down the hole. Otherwise I might have to figure out how to rig PVC. I prefer wood. I want to make something 9' to 9 1/2' tall as I will be growing indeterminate tomatoes in that area. The space is 14' x 12' I realize I will need to come up with some supports for in-between the concrete posts, which will define the outer dimensions.

Still with me? LOL. I want to use lumber because I think it will be easier to frame out the top. Once I do, I want to make a roof with 2 layers of 6 mil plastic. I have purchased 10 yards of velcro hook and loop tape that I can glue to plastic and wood. I would make the roof detachable but basically what I want to know is can I leave it up there full time? I'm disabled and find it very difficult to to climb up and down ladders, and I have a very hard time doing anything that involves lifting my arms over my head for more than a few seconds. I was hoping to keep it up for two reasons. 1. we have cold fronts that move in and out quickly. It can be sunny and 80 one day and the temps can plummet down to the 30s (and rarely even the 20s) so I'd like to at least have the top protected. 2. We have monsoon rains that drown everything. I think I could get a little more mileage out of my plants if they don't get soaked when rainy season starts.

The area gets full sun for most of the late morning until later in the afternoon. I can put shade cloth over it if it gets too much light. One thing I'm not sure of is whether the plants will get enough sun through the plastic?

I will make 4 plastic panels to slap up onto the side supports, again with velcro. If they say a cold front is coming through, I think I should be able to hang those easily enough, especially if my better half gets home from work early enough to help. I've purchased tons of C-9 string lights to weave through the rows. They throw off a ton of heat. The sides will not be up unless they say the temps are going to plummet. I think having just plastic up top should give the space enough ventilation, but I don't know which is why I'm here.

One of the other things I would like to have up all of the time is bird block. I get the good stuff with 1/4" mesh. Again, I'll have 4 panels that attach with velcro and maybe have them on the inside of the support posts and leave the outside free to hang the plastic. The birds and squirrels are a nuisance but those little butterfly moth things drive me crazy. They lay eggs all over everything and I'm constantly spraying BT to kill the caterpillars. I'm going to have around 50 heirloom plants so I really need to protect them.

Any thoughts that anyone cares to share would be most welcome! If I could find a way to eliminate the high heat and humidity in the summer, I would. For now I'd be happy to protect my plants from extreme cold, torrential rains and the eco-terrorists that share my space.

Thanks bunches.

Comments (2)