SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mechanicwannabe

Old Troy Bilt Tiller

mechanicwannabe
14 years ago

A short story to start. My Grandfather had a Tory Bilt Tiller and I always wanted one, so I bought a Sears Tiller in March of this year. I know stupid. I used it once and it started leaking red fluid. The Sears people came out and informed me it should not even have "Red Transmission Fluid In It". Needed a new transmission. Took it back and started looking for what I wanted.

I just bought a Troy Bilt "Garden Way TH 1002" with a Model Number of "HH60 105079D" and Sr # "0316 06277". On the case that houses the Belt Systme that is cast iron is a number 17889.

Rember this is very dirty and some of the information might be a little off, but I am 95% sure I got it right. I have been told that it was a 6 horsepower from the 70"s. It is just like the one my Grandfather had. So excited. Better tha a red sports car to me.

It need help and so do I.

Here are the questions.

What is it?

Who made the motor?

Where do I get parts or a manual? The last thing I rebuilt was a motorcycle.

It leaks oil and the carb needs some work. I have been told in the winter to drain the gast and run it dry. Is this good? Need air cleaner and new cap for muffler. Cannot find grease fittings?

I need to change all the fluids as it has been sitty a while. It has a lot of drain plugs? What type of oil for the Crankcase and the Engine.

I really need a manual on how to rebuild this and identify parts.

Needs some paint. Do they make Troy Bilt Red somewhere?

Okay, I have milked this for all that it is worth. Right now I am a very happy old guy. Thanks in advance to everyone who helps or just reads this and has a little snicker. :)

Comments (14)