SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Cutting back Red Velvet Yarrow NOW?

brit5467
12 years ago

First year for it. Planted in fall. Started coming up beautifully about a month or so ago and was pretty full & about a foot tall.

Guess it was so inviting, my cat decided to lay on it (LOL) and smashed it all flat and forward (toward the sun).

So I picked it all up, bunched it all together and laid it backwards, away from the sun, intending to support it upright with something. But forgot about it and now and it's been growing for a few weeks, I guess.

So now I find that what I laid backwards curved towards the sun and grew horizontal and then started growing upright again. So it's really funky looking and I know when it gets taller it's gonna fall down with such a 'curvy' base.

And because of this, the base of the plant got covered by the new growth growing over top of it so the bottom leaves are all yellow and not healthy looking.

I want to just chop it all off and let it start over. Can I do this now? It's already got lots of buds and a few flowers.

If I can, how far down to the ground should I chop? I just want it to start all over but don't know the habit of this plant -- if it continues to flower all summer long or what?

I can include a pic tomorrow if needed. Too dark to take one now.

Thanks for any advice!!

Bonnie (aka) brit5467

Comments (5)