SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtparkey

Drainage problem clay soil

jtparkey
14 years ago

My problem is multi-level compounded by clay soil. The area between my house and my neighbors has significant rain run-off with above average rain in the past year. Neither house has a gutter. Many years ago a brick curbing was put around my house for the flower beds. This created many problems one of which was "hard pan" soil when I bought the house. I long ago corrected than and actually have pretty good soil now despite the drainage problem. I then put concrete pavers in front of the flower beds as a walk way. Then in front of that I put about 10 more round 12" pavers and put standing basket. Things were ok until I decided to put a 15' by 3' serpentine bed in front of all this. The new bed was higher than all the pavers and the area between the two houses. Plus, due to plumbing problems I had never closed in the opened up "man hole" under my house. For a year I had what I called "The Parkey Canal" to the street to drain from the back of the house to the street. The man hole has been closed in, the canal closed in, the pavers removed but the area is still water logged with continued rain. Today I dug a trench around the bricked flower bed and around all the other plastic edging of all flower beds (3). I essentially have a moat around half my house. I can go back and make a small trench to relieve the moat of the water and drain it to the street. I have also started a berm between the old original bed and the new bed.

My question is...can I fill in the trenches with pea gravel or do you think I need a french drain?

Comment (1)