SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

Using mulched leaves after I've put down wood mulch

lisa2004
14 years ago

I started the thread "what do I do with all these leaves" and got some great suggestions. I ended up buying an (almost) industrial size blower/mulcher and have managed to make a dent in leaf removal.

So, now that I have this mulcher I am on to the next problem. I really want to use whatever portion of these leaves I can in my gardens. However, about 2 years ago I started putting down decorative mulch. (It's dark brown, not the orange stuff). So, how do I go about mulching with leaves? Do I have to rake all the decorative mulch off, apply the leaf mulch and they reapply the decorative stuff? That would be difficult considering the size and number of gardens. I actually do like a natural look and would be satisfied with the look of the leaves (atleast in the gardens behind my house, in the front I like it a little more formal) but it seems that it would be a never ending project because they break down so easily.

Also, I notice that when I rake back a little of the dec mulch that there is some "mold" there. Does that mean it's doing something helpful for the soil? I'm assuming its chemically treated with something to still look decent.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (5)