SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brother_cadfael

The cliche still applies, but I won't be using it this year...

brother_cadfael
15 years ago

Hi friends,

Every year I start a thread titled, "Hi I'm Rob, a Rose-aholic!", or something to that effect. In this thread I would then rant about the INSANE number of roses I would buy every year both locally and mostly through my favorite online vendors.

Well, after telling friends, neighbors, and family that I wouldn't be buying any new roses this spring due to a lack of plant space and an overabundance of grass, I realized I have a confession to make...

I bought SOME roses this year.

I removed more turf this year... about 1000 sq ft give or take. Not just for roses of course... a few Delphiniums may find their way in too. That's fair right?

So, I've given up on apologizing for my addiction or saying "I'll stop buying for a few years".

I already told the neighbors to just accept it, they'll see me out there from near sunup to sundown doing something to the "yarden". Usually with the roses... in pots, many pots... many holes, sod clumps, dirt piles, bags of soil, piles of mulch, burn piles, more trellises and pillars fewer bird feeders, more rabbits, and of course a little more tree trimming to let the sun in, the WHOLE NINE YARDS.

So, here's what I bought this year:

Ramblers-

2- 'Long John Silver' - I know, who needs 2 of these monsters right? I'll have to find out the hard way. :) Which is more fun... from a rose growing point of view.

'Francios Juranville'

'Baltimore Belle'

Climbers-

'American Pillar'

'Isabella Skinner'

'Leverkusen'

'Rosenholm'

'Westerland' - a replacement, so it doesn't count, right?

'White Dawn' - this rose is a defining aspect of my addiction. Every year for the last 7, I have bought 'White Dawn' and every spring I find it dead... I don't care - I'll grow it as an annual. Out of my 150+ roses, with the exception of an occasional quark, 'White Dawn' consistently croaks on me every winter. Well I found a SUPERB 3yr old specimen this year, and I am determined to keep it alive. I'm going to try it in a different location this year. I always tried to grow it against the South wall of the house. This year I will attempt to grow it as a pillar in the middle of the yard.

Alba-

'Morning Blush' - looks gorgeous, can't wait to see a bloom next year.

2-'Felicite Parmentier'

Bourbon-

'Louise Odier'

Centifolia-

'Fantin Latour'

Damask-

'Leda'

English-

'Brother Cadfael' - of course. David Austin Roses sent me a huge one this year.... the roots hardly fit into a 5gal bucket. I hated to trim them down to pot it up.

'Crown Princess Margareta'

2- 'Fair Bianca'

'Falstaff' - didn't want it, but it was a freebie. Maybe I'll trade it.

'Golden Celebration' - I have 5 now but I only want 2 of these monsters, this was part of a package deal from J&P. Maybe I'll trade 3 of these as well.

'Jubilee Celebration' - I've been waiting for this one to lose it's J&P exclusivity for years, I finally broke down and bought it from them, this will assure that it will be available to all vendors both foreign and domestic in spring '09. You can thank me later. :^)

'The Shepherdess'

'William Shakespeare 2000'

'Windermere'

Gallica-

'Tuscany Superb'

Perpetual-

'Baronne Prevost'

'Ferdinand Pichard'

Hyb. Tea- there's only 2 worth having in my climate...

10- 'Dainty Bess' - yes, 10. I think she'll be spectacular "en-masse" shall we say?

'La France'

Shrubs-

'Caramella'

'Citrus Splash'

'Jim Lounsbery'

'Morden Ruby'

Moss-

'Crested Moss'

'Prince de Vaudemont'

Rugosa-

'Martin Frobisher' (a second one), so that doesn't count either.

'Wasagaming'

Species-

'Austrian Copper' - actually found this one locally, love it!

'Fr. Hugo' - Love it!

And this was after making vows to the world at large, and God no less.

So for those of you struggling to rid yourselves of what you call "a disease", just give up, one more won't hurt. You''l be much happier if you just accept the reality of your addiction, and let it grow on you, so to speak. :^)

Thanks for your time,

Rob:)

Comments (28)