SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Are borers a death sentence?

poaky1
13 years ago

My mom planted a Liriodendron Tulipfera ( tulip tree)about30 years ago and it's nice and big. It has the holes with sawdust etc showing it has borers. The bark is coming off at the bottom and it's been like this for 3 years that I know of. She wants to keep it. I read that there are sprays for this. I always thought that treatment wasn,t a long term solution, since these bugs are not just hanging in clear site, they're in the wood far from reach. If treatment would've helped it may be too late now. This tree is going to catch the side of the house when or if it falls in one direction. It was injured by my dad on a tractor daydreaming while mowing years ago. Even if it is beyond help now for future reference if caught early can a spray kill borers? Maybe a systemic like Bayer? I haven't read the label, but if anyone knows offhand. For those who say get a tree pro to look at it what form of tree association or liscensing am I to look for? There are alot of butchers doing work around here, but if the tree sounds like a goner, it probably doesn't matter as long as they are insured.

Comments (12)