SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

pepper death sentence

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

we are getting our first freeze tonight. well, sort of. weather channel says it's getting down to 32, which means there MIGHT be frost. but it's getting down to 30 tomorrow. I have limited space on my porch (which will be covered with plastic). so today is the day to accept that some of my plants are gonna die. I cut down 2 bhuts and a brain to mere twigs, in part so I could trim the root ball down and get them into better soil, in part because they were too massive to fit on my porch. these might be the only ones to survive (not including the seedlings, which will of course be saved.

I had been considering cutting the rest down and tossing them in the dumpster and saving the pots. but I couldn't bring myself to do that. after all we've been thru together, I'm sorta attached to these plants. so I am glad the winter weather will kill them for me.

the plants being killed today are:
-serrano (not quite mild enough for use in salads and stuff, but not hot enough to keep me interested)
-tabasco (I loved this plant, he produced like crazy for me, but recently he started looking like crap, and is losing leaves like crazy. I see it as putting him out of his misery).
-one of the thai plants (more or less the same situation as the tabasco, except the pods aren't very tasty, so no tears will be shed for him).

there's 2 other thai plants that aren't terribly healthy so I don't plan on keeping them for next year, but they do have a bunch of almost ripe pods. so I'm gonna pull them inside for this freeze, but as soon as their pods ripen, they're goners.

Comments (12)

Sponsored