SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfls43

Taking Craftsman lawn tractor back to Sears...

17 years ago

Last Sunday I bought a YS4500, Kohler 21HP, 42" deck, fender mounted automatic transmission. First thing I noticed after I had made the purchase was the tractor model was not the same as in the sales flyers. It is last years model. Secondly, from the moment I started this thing up it has a dry, metallic rumble, vibration, whenever I accelerate or go up any kind of hill. I called the tech line and they said it needed to be broken in, etc... I have purged it many times and it still makes this sound. So much that even now it is louder than the engine at times. I called Sears during the middle of last week and told them I was bringing it in to exchange for another mower, I let the manager talk me into keeping it until a technician could come out to my home "just in case it was an adjustment". Well, I don't need to be a mechanical engineer to know there is something wrong with this thing when it makes so much noise. Even if it just needs to be broken in, the loud noise is an indication to me that whatever is breaking in is going to be broken later, probably the day after my factory warranty runs out. So here I go, load this thing back up on my truck, take it back to Sears, walk in and scan my receipt in the ATM style machine, which I used for the first time when I bought this last week. Hopefully, there won't be any go around with these people and they had better not try and stick me with a 15% restocking fee. I think I will attempt to exchange it for a manual transmission this time around though, seeing my property is hilly. I have a feeling I get another hydro tranny it will make the same noise. I wonder why they are selling last years models and not what they are advertising in the flyers?

Comments (12)